• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

air pressure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
W

William

not sure, but i read this somewhere on the forum to keep more air coming in your case than out by a little bit to create a slight positive pressure in your case. Is this true. If so, then why?

That is correct. Two reasons that come to mind are:
Don't forget the PSU needs air through it to cool itself and with a little positive pressure, you're less likely to drwa dust in through all the cracks and crevices on your case (like CD-RW, floppy, etc). It's just good practice.

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 08, 2001 08:15 p.m.):
Don't forget the PSU needs air through it to cool itself and with a little positive pressure, you're less likely to drwa dust in through all the cracks and crevices on your case (like CD-RW, floppy, etc). It's just good practice.

Hoot

Not wanting to rain on anyones parade but won't having a positive pressure create heat of it's own, I don't know myself I'm just asking because I'm trying to add fans to my case.
How would you feel about neutral?

Newby2OC (Apr 08, 2001 09:51 p.m.):
Hoot (Apr 08, 2001 08:15 p.m.):

Hoot

Not wanting to rain on anyones parade but won't having a positive pressure create heat of it's own, I don't know myself I'm just asking because I'm trying to add fans to my case.
How would you feel about neutral?

Positive air pressure (more air in than out) will not, in and of itself, create heat. What it does do though is allow heat pockets to form since some of the excess fresh air will be exhausted instead of already heated air.

What you should try for is a slight negative pressure. Two case fans (one in and one out) of the same rating plus the existing P/S fan will accomplish this.

The air flow is also important. Good card positioning as well as cable dressing and positioning can give you several oC (depending on how bad things are when you start).

All I know is when I lite a cig, and blow it in the direction of my comp, it either sucks it in through front bottom, or through the blowhole I put in the side of my case....but whichever way it goes in...it only comes out by way of the power supply, and it comes out in a hurry...and of course the smoke has expanded by then, and makes a big cloud kinda cool to watch, but I won't do it just to watch...I ruin enough stuff with nasty cig smoke 'round here...like my lungs

ok, so i guess it doesn't matter too much then. i see both sides of it, but i guess i will have more out than in when all is said and done, caus the psu fan will be exausting.

4 120mm 131cfm fans
4 80mm 43cfm fans

Gonna be pushin some air in that supermicro sc760a.

My personal belief is that you should have more air coming IN (positive case pressure). This prevents dust from seeping in the CD-ROM bay, cracks ect...

The heat caused by the very slight positive pressure will be absolutely negligable and is nothing to be concerned about.

Fink (Apr 09, 2001 06:00 p.m.):
My personal belief is that you should have more air coming IN (positive case pressure). This prevents dust from seeping in the CD-ROM bay, cracks ect...

The heat caused by the very slight positive pressure will be absolutely negligable and is nothing to be concerned about.

My same thoughts completely. Just another opinion for you.

Had a conservation with 2cooltek & he stated that I need a slight overppresure vs underpresure or balanced airflow.

Pat

I'm with Hoot, Fink, and Colin, less dust.

I'm thinking of throwing together a home brewed plexiglass case, I'm going with 3 filtered 120mm intakes, 2 120mm exhasts, and I think an Enermax PSU upside-down drawing in fresh air through the top of the case and blowing hot air out the back.

Back