• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lol, i make twm my window manager, now its all messed up and i cant get it back!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

I changed my window manager to see what it was like to twm. Now I can't get my regular KDE one back, AHHHHH? how do I make startx start up my last window manager? (i use text login)

I think the file you need:

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

David

parkan said:
Actually, you should use ~/.xinitrc rather than the global one ;)

Depends if you want to set a default WM globally, or for one user.

David

You can use emacs or vim. Both take some getting used to, but I prefer vim (or elvis if you're wierd :D).

In the dir with .xinitrc, type vim .xinitrc. Type i to insert text and use <esc> when you're done. To save the file, type :sav! .xinitrc. If : doesn't move the cursor to the bottom of the screen, press <esc> and try again.

[extra stuff]
vim has about 1.32 bazillion features, but that should suffice to help you get the job done. If you want to find out more, F1 is help. There's even a helpful tutorial.
[/extra stuff]

Depends on what you have handy. I use Nano and vi regularly.

nano <file>
vi <file>

Nano is easier to get used to than vi.

vi Controls:

INSERT - Allow editing of the file
ESC - Exits editing mode

: - Access to the vi command line
w - Write file. Must be used after :
q - Quits vi. Must be used after :

That's the basic vi commands. I'd recommend Nano because it has all the controls listed.

-DarkArctic

I prefer pico . . . simple to use etc . . . and it tells you all the commands at the bottom of the scren but everyone is difrent

Back