• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows OEM or retail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Get the OEM version. You just don't get the tech support (like they help anyway), the manual, or the box. I don't know if it is upgrade of full but if you have an older windows cd you should be okay.

No you dont have to buy a hard drive or cpu. Look at the drop down menu, they sell you 4 thumbscrews to comply with the liscence, hehe.

Yah i do have windows 98 cd so either way i should be good. Can you use the same xp setup disks on more than one comp, without having to buy extended license?

subconcept said:
No you dont have to buy a hard drive or cpu. Look at the drop down menu, they sell you 4 thumbscrews to comply with the liscence, hehe.
when i read that i laughed so freakin hard it was crazy.:beer:

Man, get it while you can because if M$ sees that...the days of them selling anything from Microsoft are over.

BHD

Warehouse said:
Yah i do have windows 98 cd so either way i should be good. Can you use the same xp setup disks on more than one comp, without having to buy extended license?

No you can't. It's not like all previous MS OS. Win XP checks out your hardware. The OS will give you a phone number to call and will also give you a number to tell the person. Then they will give you an activation code that you enter so XP doesn't expire after 30 days. If you try to install it on another machine, M$ will ask you why you are installing it again, but sometimes you can get away with just saying you changed compnents.

OEM versions are full version CDs withougt the box or manual, and must be purchased with hardware. (yes, buying an IDE cable, or some other inexpensive part usualy qualifies)

excellent thanks for all the advice guys.

CAN I GET A MOD TO DELETE THIS THREAD TO KEEP IT ON THE UP AND UP

Back