• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.9Ghz possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Da_Bear

Registered
Hi!

I'm currently running my xp1800+ @ 1.8Ghz, but much want more ;) It posts at 1.9ghz but freezes when win xp is about to load. Is it possible to reach 1.9Ghz with just air cooling? My current temps are 49 degrees C @ idle and 60 degrees C @ full load runnig prime95

I think my temps are a bit to high, how do i lower them? Will ac3 lower my temps? How Much?

Lot's of questions, hope i can get answers to them all :)

Temps do seem a bit high with reading on board diode. Not sure on how well the Volcano 9 is ranked among heatsinks buy you cant go wrong with the AX-7 or SLK-800. Good case airflow will help improve temps. Have you tried working with the multiple/fsb settings? Drop the multiple and increase the FSB which will yield an overall faster system. I did notice a slight drop in temps after the AS3 cured, which will happen during the burn-in process.

Welcome to the Forums :D

Welcome to the Forums!

XP1800s don't oc all that well as a rule. I barely got mine to 1.7ghz:( so you already beat me there!

Your temps are a bit high- as a ballpark figure I adjust on-die temps down 10c for comparison to socket thermistor temps, means you are about the same as 39c idle/50c load for in-socket therm.

I don't like seeing a cpu load temp of more than 45c(in-socket.)

Another thing is to check your 5v rail- AMDs are 5v hungry chips, and if it is near 4.8v you are around the danger zone!

It doesn't sound like you will make it to 1.9ghz without watercooling or pelts......
Good luck though!

Just as rogerdugans said, you won't make it to 1.9 without watercooling.... Or you can get Corsair pc3200 Cas2 RAM!! :) but then you need the extra money, yes I know.... :(

Hmmm... Watercooling is a good idea for that. Definately get a better heatsink, whether you intend to go further or not.

Thanks for the answers :) Like this forum alot :beer:

Think my first step will be to get my my hands on some ac3 and see if it help me with the temps. Next will be to get some better memory so i can raise my fsb up to the sky :)

Or...I could save my money for a while and get a Prometeia case...that would be nice :D

Last edited:
Back