• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i want to install bsd, on my allready dual boot system, how do i tackle this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scarlotti

Registered
I have a dual boot system, mandrake and XP Pro.
I need to ditch the mandrake in favor of BSD so i can talk to my server, mandrake was posing to many problems. So with that in mind, and the thought of how hard it was to create this dual boot system in the first place, how do i remove the mandrake, and install the bsd in its place, all without doing any damage to the XP?
Will BSD load over the mandrake partition? Will BSD give me the option for which OS to load? what about a tri boot sys?

Im looking at 42005mb size XP
15029 for Mandrake, now is there a chance i can resize the mandrake partition to say, cut in half so BSD gets 7gigs, and mandrake gets 7 gigs? and i still have the mandrake boot screen which asks what os i want?

How how how? lol

I could cut the partition for mandrake and just install bsd, but will i be givin a choice on os's like mandrake does?

Are you wanting to ditch Mandrake, and then give half of the space it used to Mandrake and half to BSD?

If so:

1) Delete Mandrakes Partitions. Use fdisk/cfdisk/parted in Linux or windows XP's partitioning thing to make the partitions for BSD and for Mandrake.

2) Install BSD wherever you want it. I have no knowledge whatsoever about BSD, so I don't know anything about installation etc.

3) Install Mandrake last, and let its boot loader (probably GRUB or LILO) set itself up to allow you to select either OS when booting.

David

Back