• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ 1066 RAMBUS anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker76

Ordered 14 sticks of this stuff to use in some systems I'm building. But for some reason, it's being recognized as 800 on auto settings. Which means OCZ is just selling 800 RAM as 1066 and might not be that big of a deal if it would overclock to 1066.

But the problem is, I can't even overclock the stuff to 1066. I've tried it on 2 different motherboards with no luck. Both the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP and the Asus P4T533-C have not been able to run this RAM at 1066.

And now everyone is sold out of the Kingston 1066 RAMBUS, and I am supposed to ship these systems by Wed. So, it looks like I'm totally screwed. Unless someone knows of anything that might help me out?

At first my RDRAM was reading as PC800 in SiSoftSandra, and was performing as PC800 too.

I updated my BIOS and switched mem to 4X (not sure if it was auto or 3x). 1066MHz readings and scores (3400 MB/S stock).

Oh and where did you buy this RAM from? Could be the reseller screwing ya.

I can OC mine too btw, I got it up to PC1200 (think it was kinda unstable though).

Mine is Kingston from NewEgg.

Carnil said:
As I recall, the rule for buying OCZ memory is
1) Pray it arrives
2) Pray it's as labeled
3) Pray it works

4) Pray for 1-3 once more because I've heard its near impossible to send it back.

Well, the general concensus seems to be that I'm screwed! Ouch!

Updating the BIOS is my next step. The RAM runs super fast and stable at 2x, but locks up everytime I turn it to 4x. So, hopefully a BIOS update will do the trick. *crosses fingers*

I bought the 14 sticks because I noticed that all the 1066 stuff began to fly out of stock. I had to use 8 sticks in systems that need to be shipped ASAP, and the other 6 sticks I'm going to need in the next week or 2 anyway, so I bought a bunch.

Trying to return it has actually been a problem. I tried returning it to the reseller who wanted to charge me a 15% restocking fee, which is total BS. That's around $300 on that large of an order. Because as far as I'm concerned, they are defective items.

So, I contacted OCZ directly and they were actually really nice about it. They also said that there was problems trying to get the RAM to run 1066 on the Gigabyte boards. But it does the same thing in the Asus board, so I wonder if they said that just to try and cover thier asses and hope I didn;t have another board to test the stuff in. They said they would contact the reseller and see if they could get them to let me return this crap.

But the problem still remains. Even if I do get it returned, I am going to be about 2 weeks late shipping the 2 systems that should be going out tomorrow because Kingston won't have any 1066 in stock until the middle of next week.

Grrrr!

call em again and tell them you have an abit board and see if they say the same thing lol...

Tried updating the BIOS on both boards with no luck. I have no idea how the hell OCZ even overclocked this stuff to 1066! I can;t get it to post at anything besides 800. Talk about lame ...

hey guys, sorry to interupt and change topic a bit, btw sorry about what happened joker, do u guys know of a 512mb stick of rimm4200? or is 256 the highest?

also, how much ram is needed to run a system with no virtual memory and only ram? 1 gb? will there be a huge performace boost in doing so?
thanks.

acesea said:
hey guys, sorry to interupt and change topic a bit, btw sorry about what happened joker, do u guys know of a 512mb stick of rimm4200? or is 256 the highest?

also, how much ram is needed to run a system with no virtual memory and only ram? 1 gb? will there be a huge performace boost in doing so?
thanks.

you should start a new thread for best results. i dont know anything about intel/rambus.

If I were you, I would try mixing and matching the sticks and try to find SOME that work at the rated speed. (If any of them do!)

This way, you might be able to get at least SOME of your systems out on time.

Sorry about your OCZ experience. Next time, you'll check with us before making a large purchase like that, right? ;)

I wouldn't be so carried away on the Kingstons ... the box in my sig is prone to spontaneous reboot after a couple of hours at 100% CPU. If I bump the memory down to 3X or drop the bus, it works fine. Presently, I'm running it at 2.66 / 3X ...

Unfortunately, the box is a video encoder that deals with multi-gig files and memory bandwidth is key. The best option on the ASUS board is to drop back to 120/30 ...

So far, I haven't been at a point I could be without the machine long enough to send the board to ASUS and ask what gives. Aside from that, I am suspecting the RAM.

I'll admit, the Kingston 1066 isn't the greatest. But it is a decent overclocker, and it actually runs at 1066 (unlike the OCZ crap!). The Kingston is also a very stable RAM as far as I can tell from it so far.

I have built 5-6 systems using the Kingston 1066. They all achived moderate overclocks and 3 systems have been in customers hands for 2 months now with no complaints. So, until Corsair or Samsung comes out with some 1066, I'm going to stick to the Kingston.

Update on the OCZ deal:

Well, it just so happens that Newegg got some Kingston RAM in stock earlier today and promised to overnight me 8 sticks by tomorrow. So, it looks like I'll be able to ship those systems by Friday now.

OCZ has yet to call me back after 2 days now. I tried calling them today, 3 times with no answer each time. Maybe they have caller ID and they are avoiding me on purpose ... who knows.

If I don't hear from them by tomorrow, I'm going to call my CC company and halt payment on the order. Although I'm not sure if there is much they can do since the card was already charged and I already recieved the products.

So, it seems like a major disaster has been avoided for the time being. now, the next trick is getting OCZ or the reseller to take this crap back without charging me $300 in restocking fees.

Back