• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't POST 2.0A at 133FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goatzool

I have a 2.0A Northwood, usually running at 2.4 (120FSB) I got some help from bilydkid1970 recently and discovered that my ASUS P4S533 has a 4:5 divider that kicks in at 133FSB. But i can't POST at that setting.

Since I'm not overclocking the memory (DDR333) at 4:5 and since the PCI bus goes back to 33 at FSB133, I assume that the inadequacy is in the CPU. BTW, I have Corsair XMS 512Mb at its stock (SPD) settings. I have my rig at 120FSB for months with no problems, and anything between 120 and 133 stresses the hard drive and memory, so if I can;t make the jump to 133, I guess I've maxed out.

When I say I can't POST, I mean I have to reset the CMOS jumper and start over, which is becoming easy, but annoying.

Before I give up and live with my 20% OC, ( or buy a 2.53) should I try either maxing the Vcore (1.7 via BIOS) or the vid pin wire trick? Or is lack of voltage not likely to be the problem??

To find out how far it will go, you have to set the core to the max. Hell, I played with my old 1.6A at 2.0V for a while with no damage done.

I'll try 1.7, but I have read silversinksam's thread on sudden northwood death syndrome and it makes me nervous. Seems like even at 1.7, there have been some problems.

goatzool said:
I have a 2.0A Northwood, usually running at 2.4 (120FSB) I got some help from bilydkid1970 recently and discovered that my ASUS P4S533 has a 4:5 divider that kicks in at 133FSB. But i can't POST at that setting.

Since I'm not overclocking the memory (DDR333) at 4:5 and since the PCI bus goes back to 33 at FSB133, I assume that the inadequacy is in the CPU. BTW, I have Corsair XMS 512Mb at its stock (SPD) settings. I have my rig at 120FSB for months with no problems, and anything between 120 and 133 stresses the hard drive and memory, so if I can;t make the jump to 133, I guess I've maxed out.

When I say I can't POST, I mean I have to reset the CMOS jumper and start over, which is becoming easy, but annoying.

Before I give up and live with my 20% OC, ( or buy a 2.53) should I try either maxing the Vcore (1.7 via BIOS) or the vid pin wire trick? Or is lack of voltage not likely to be the problem??
check your cpu with the database, those piticular cpus are not very good overclockers, once in a while, peeps will get a GOOD one.:D

Have you try to relax the memory timings to "normal" and 2.5 -7-3-3 ? Running asychroneously often creates problem between Chipset and DDR. MSI manuals on chipset SIS645 mentioned about "normal" setting when running asychroneously.

Maybe it is memory problem that won't post at 4:5 setting. Many people expect too much on memory capability and try 3:4, and 4:5 setting at CL2 or Ultra. These settings may work if you have memory like Corsair & Mushkin PC3200 - DDR400.

Since you have Corsair DDR333 module, would you try this BIOS set up, and see what happens? :
cpu voltage = 1.70V, cpu:dram = 4:5, dram voltage = 2.70V, DRAM timings to Normal at 2.5 -7-3-3, and FSB = 133.

Yes, I tried the settings exactly as you have them, with the RAM settings set by the SPD on the module. The ASUS board has a speech post reporter that says:
"CPU failed due to overclocking" so I think it's the CPU and not the memory.
I might try the trick to get the Vcore up to 1.8, as it looks like that is what people are using on this CPU on the database to get above 133. Also, I think maybe I just got a "slow" CPU, luck of the draw.
Thanks for the suggestions.

goatzool said:
Yes, I tried the settings exactly as you have them, with the RAM settings set by the SPD on the module. The ASUS board has a speech post reporter that says:
"CPU failed due to overclocking" so I think it's the CPU and not the memory.
I might try the trick to get the Vcore up to 1.8, as it looks like that is what people are using on this CPU on the database to get above 133. Also, I think maybe I just got a "slow" CPU, luck of the draw.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Your problem might be the Asus.
Try this: raise the Vcore to 1.6 and reboot with FSB at 120. When windows startup restart and ONLY then raise your FSB to 133

Not by SPD, but Manual at 2.5 -7-3-3. And disable CPU error hold, if you have any of this option in BIOS.

Please do VID pin trick to eliminate Cold Boot problem. At 1.70V is enough and the easiest way to modify. See the tricks in this Intel forum.

Last edited:
Always try to fully isolate the problem to the cpu... limit agp/pci and ram stress whenever possible and see how high it goes. If your board has an overvolt jumper, you can even go 1.80v in BIOS. Above 1.7v is kinda radical for a P4NW though.

Having said that, I have to concur that not all chips are equal. I had one particular 2.0A that would not be stable at 2360 (but was at 2340 stock voltage), and one that runs at 2.67 flawlessly (see my sig for details).

Back