• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.95VCore too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Actaeon

I recently got an AthlonXP1600 AROIA-Y Week 13, I'm running a very good ventilated system, with a very good HSF (Alpha PAL 8054).

Temps seem a bit high at 50C Core, and 30C Case, but should go down within a few days because AS3 has yet to settle.

I'm running it right now with 1.95 Core Voltage, 2.8V Memory Voltage, is that unhealthy even if I have a good cooling system?

I'm using an Epox 8K5A2, AXP1600, 256mb Kingmax DDR400.

Thanks.

The higher your volts, the shorter the life of your cpu. I think that 1.95v is a bit on the high side. What is your fsb? Why do you need such a high voltage? If you need such a high voltage to reach a certain speed, your computer is trying to tell you that it doesnt like it :)

I tried running it at 1.9 Vcore, but after about 30 minutes of casual usage (and running seti), it did a hard crash, not sure what the problem was, as I just recieved the parts yesterday, have have yet to reformat. So, figuring its the voltage, I bumped it to 1.95, and all seems stable.

Before I went to sleep, I left it at 1.95Vcore, did not crash over night, before I left to school, dropped it to 1.9V, I'm hoping it was just a random crash since I did not reformat.

I'm running at a 181FSB (1.9ghz)...

How long would the CPU last under 1.95V?

Thanks...

I would say at least 4-6 yrs. I mean, you'll likely have a completely different system in 2- 2 1/2 yrs.

Also, your overclocking is great! 1600 @ 1.9GHz is sweet!

1.95v should be fine if you keep it cool, mid 40's would be better than 50ish. it's worth it to have a 1.9ghz for 50 bucks, mine is at 1910 and it needs 1.95 to be stable there, and i don't sweat it, alot of folks are 2v+ now that's a little on the high side.

Does that board have on-die cpu temp or a socket thermistor?

If its on-die, then its good.:)
Socket thermistor and its bad :(

Also- is that an idle temp or at 100% cpu load? Load temps are always higher.

Higher voltage will shorten a cpus life span to some degree, but a cpu at 2v and 35c temp will probably last longer than a cpu at 1.75 and 60c temp......

On-die load temps around 50c or so or ok, and in-socket thermistor temps around 40c or so are good (both +-5c :) )

rogerdugans said:
Does that board have on-die cpu temp or a socket thermistor?

If its on-die, then its good.:)
Socket thermistor and its bad :(

Also- is that an idle temp or at 100% cpu load? Load temps are always higher.

Higher voltage will shorten a cpus life span to some degree, but a cpu at 2v and 35c temp will probably last longer than a cpu at 1.75 and 60c temp......

On-die load temps around 50c or so or ok, and in-socket thermistor temps around 40c or so are good (both +-5c :) )

Pretty sure it's on die as it is a follow up of the 8K3A+ and it would be pretty disapointing of it didn't. Like dugans said, if it's on-die it's acceptable, if it's insocket, it's time you turned it down a few notches and considered some better cooling since you don't want to panic about your rig.

Back