• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rant on Dungeon Siege

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e laursen

Folding for Mom
First, I can't live without this game, unfortunately, I can't live with it either.

I can host most other games with all the correct ports opened on the router (UT, D2, JK2, etc) but DS just won't let me host from behind the firewall, even with my computer on DMZ.

The 1.1 patch has made my life hell. I installed it to help with the NAT compatibility of the game and to enable the "saving" of my active displacers in multi-player. Now it crashes randomly and the executable is showing as corrupt when I run the game with the verifydata=true command (was fine with 1.0). I updated from the file and from the auto update online. Both with the same results.

GPG knows of the file corruption issue and is planning on fixing it in the next patch... guess I have to wait and hope it also fixes NAT and the stability issues. Most of the threads I read on planetdungeonsiege ask people to switch hardware to fix their problems... gosh is MS (and GPG) so arrogant? Now the problem is with your hardware, not the application! Seems to me that if other games can function on my medium speed rig (see below), then DS should as well.

Whew! Has anyone else had these problems and figured out a fix? I am especially interested in getting the game hosted while attached to my router (with the PC either in DMZ or the correct Dx8 ports open (tcp/udp 2300, 2302-2400, http 80, UDP 6073)). I am ready to revert to 1.0 until 1.2(?) is released.

Back