• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems in OC my 1.33 T-bird....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve

Registered
Here is the issue... (1330Mhz not fast enough? well... no :))

I'm running my 1.33 T-bird (266 FSB) at 10 x 133Mhz = 1330Mhz ... and it is rock solid, no complaints. It's cooled with a Global Win FOP-32 (I think with the :( heating pad). I boot up into Windows98 and the temp is around 40C which eventually approaches the Case temp of around 26C. I've run Sandra CPU Burn in and watched the temp go from the cool 28C to ~48C and the CPU didn't lock up.

Here's the question though.... when I O/C it using 10.5 x 133Mhz = 1400Mhz it loads the BIOS fine and boots up into Win98 fine at 45C... it then start to cool down and then locks up around 42C. I've noticed that the light for my IBM 30G Deskstar indicates that my HDD is spinning during the lockup. Concidering my Sandra run when running 10 x 133 I not so sure it is my CPU locking up due to heat.... I'm thinking it maybe my HD.... but when running 10 x133Mhz I've run Sandra Burn-In on the HDD and it didn't lock up...

Things I've concidered as options... HD fan, Artic Silver II

However, I'd like to narrow the culprit down instead of just slapping stuff on to see what works.... I also realize that my FOP-32 isn't exactly the king of kool when it comes to O/C a 1.33Ghz T-bird...

The reason I seem to be working with the multiplier exclusively is that my screen goes black (no signal from the PC) when I attempt to change the CPU/PCI FSB past 133/33.... at 135/34 it gives me the black screen :| I've looked for that elusive PCI Latency adjustment in the BIOS but I have a KT7A using the SoftMenuIII and haven't found anything resembling the PCI Latency adjustment.

Any Ideas!?!

Your CPU should absolutely run over 133. The temps are ok, though not great.

I would suggest to remove all non-essential cards, and to try then booting at over 133. My suspicion is that it may be the SB ISA card, but hey you never know...

Also, what kind of RAM are you using, and is your RAM set to FSB speed ? Some boards allow FSB +33MHz. which would make it 166 in your case.

Try these tips, and report back.

We'll get you going

Yo

Try taking the HSF off of the cpu and use a razor to remove the pad. Put some arctic silver on there (You should have Arctic silver regardless of whether this is the direct problem or not). Next, carefully reseat the HSF making sure that it makes good contact with the CPU die. While the HSF is off you might want to consider lapping it to reduce your temps even more. I would agree though, it is probably your ISA card causing the problems. Remove everything but the necessary and try O/Cing it.

Another question: Does the computer post higher than the default speed and lock up in Windows? Or does it not post at all? let us know!

Hmmm.... yes many people are pointing at the ISA SB card..... I'll try that when I get the chance.....

Hmmm.... yes many people are pointing at the ISA SB card..... I'll try that when I get the chance.....

If you do a clean install, sell the Sb card & switch to a Sana Cruz or Phillips sound card. It is suppose to create less problems for your system. 45C is acceptable.

Pat

Ok,
I yanked my Iomega Jaz Jet SCSI Interface PCI (for my Iomega 2G Jaz drive) and my SoundBlaster16 ISA cards and I was able to hit 1400Mhz w/ CPU voltage @ 1.775 (10.5 x 133Mhz) :D :D :D

However, 1400Mhz isn't enough ... when is your current O/C the end of the road! :D :D :D ... and when I try to do 11 x 133Mhz =1466 Win98 loads to the desktop and then locks... temps are not too far out of whack, 49C (never seen it break 50C)... so what now :confused:

I've backed it back down to 10.5 and CPU voltage back to 1.775v and tried uping the CPU/PCI FSB to 144/34 and the screen goes dead (no input from video card :( , amber power light)

Any suggestions?

P.S. BigAir, as for the posting question.... it always boots up to the and shows the proper CPU speed (i.e. if O/C to 1400Mhz it shows "1400Mhz (10.5 x 133Mhz)"... and then proceeds to load Win98

Steve (Apr 13, 2001 06:55 a.m.):
Ok,
I yanked my Iomega Jaz Jet SCSI Interface PCI (for my Iomega 2G Jaz drive) and my SoundBlaster16 ISA cards and I was able to hit 1400Mhz w/ CPU voltage @ 1.775 (10.5 x 133Mhz) :D :D :D

However, 1400Mhz isn't enough ... when is your current O/C the end of the road! :D :D :D ... and when I try to do 11 x 133Mhz =1466 Win98 loads to the desktop and then locks... temps are not too far out of whack, 49C (never seen it break 50C)... so what now :confused:

I've backed it back down to 10.5 and CPU voltage back to 1.775v and tried uping the CPU/PCI FSB to 144/34 and the screen goes dead (no input from video card :( , amber power light)

Any suggestions?

P.S. BigAir, as for the posting question.... it always boots up to the and shows the proper CPU speed (i.e. if O/C to 1400Mhz it shows "1400Mhz (10.5 x 133Mhz)"... and then proceeds to load Win98

There's a lot that can come into play here. Your board can handle 144MHz just fine and 10.5x144=1512 which is nearing the upper end of these chips with air cooling but not out of the question. You say that the temp hits 49C when loading Win98. I haven't tested any of these chips with anything but the Delta fan due to the heat they put out. My guess is that the fan on your FOP isn't doing enough. The other possibility is that it's your ambient temp. Do you know what it is?

I have found with your chip(the same one I have) you need to up the voltage to 1.80 or higher to go very much faster. But you need better cooling for that.

KT7A-Raid T-Bird 1333/266 @1612 watercooled

Back