• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! 64MB or 128MB gf4 4200ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

chaintech 4200ti w/64MB ddr that runs at 512Mhz for $130

or

chaintech 4200ti w/128MB ddr that runs at 444Mhz for $152

is 64MB/$22 worth the performance increase.

Remind me again what gains I get from more ram? How will less ram affect my 3dmark scores? thanks!

It's a catch 22. Most games will not benefit from the extra 64 MB of RAM, but will benefit from the extra speed.

However, those games that do benefit from the extra RAM will benefit greatly.

Games that use large textures (MoHAA, Morrowind, UT2K3 (soon to be released), Battle Field 1942) at high resolution will see a benefit from the extra 64 MB.

In short...

If you're willing to sacrifice high quality, the faster RAM will be better. If you're an eye-candy fiend you'll want the extra RAM.

How long do you plan on keepign the card? If you're gonna upgrade in like 3-5 months then I think it would be better to get the 64mb and enjoy the games that are out now and then switch over later. But if its going to be awhlie the 128 might be the better choice. :)

this card is going to replace my gf2 ultra. I can't stand this card any longer, its 5500 3dmark score or its performance overall...

In reality the plan is to get rid of the gf2 ultra and wait for the nv30. I was going to get a 9700 yesterday but en lou of the 8xagp issues I decided to wait for the nv30 (impatiently but who cares)....

My upgrade schedule is to save save save for a new hammer setup in the spring. I wanted to get a vid card now to get that costs out of the way later. Looks like the NV30 in december/Janurary, Hammer setup in feb/march and new car in april/may ;-) LOL

Guess I should just go with the 64MB, my only worry is that I'll be stuck with something barely better than the gf2 ultra. Will the gf4 4200 64MB still double the performance of the gf2 ultra or do I need the full 128 to make it worth my while....

I think that you will like the GF$ over the Ultra...it is a Generation skip and bound to be faster. I just upgraded from a GF2 GTS 32 meg(elsa gladiac) and notice the diff. Basically my current games run faster and look a little shinier but this GF4 is waiting for the new games to come out so it can really shine.

I think the GF4 is a step in the right direction, but it should last you for a while. unless you are desperate for Higher 3D mark 2001 scores(like that really matters anyways:confused: )
Sides, the GF4 64 meg will play all the new games and then some for quite some time..I mean, jeez, look how long the GF2 lasted for some of us..heck i am still using it in my other rig and it still kicks Sh$T!!
Sounds like you are the kind of guy who will breathe easier Knowing he has 128 mb. the 128mb will last a tad longer.

I'd recommend the 64. If you've seen game benchmarks comparing these cards across the web, you'll notice that there is only the slightest difference between them at stock settings, even in a game that really stresses a videocard like Commanche 4. If you overclock its no contest. The 64MB card can run at higher speeds and that generates clear (if not exactly huge) differences in framerates.

The moral of the story, and its been true in video cards for a long time, is that memory quality beats memory quantity every time. If it were my choice, I'd get the 64MB card.

BHD

I know this is blasphemy, but I don't believe in overclocking video cards. 9 times out of 10 the increase just isn't worth it. Inevitibly there's some texture corruption or mysterious crashing that occurs.

Now I know there are people that will tell me they've been running overclocked cards for years, and that's fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm just saying that "In my experience" it's not worth it.

I'd get the 128 MB card because I like to use max texture quality.

Of course, I also opted to get the Ti4600 when they were first released because I was tired of my 64 MB GF2. (Non-pro, not ultra.)

simple decision 128 hands down and o/c snot outa it, it will last you longer than you think

cisco kid

I have a MSI gForce 4200-64Meg in my system (1.8A 256Meg of Corsair 3200). I like it a lot. I get a bench mark of 8300 stock. When I was shopping for a card I compared the 128 and 64. Most of the time on the reviews the 64 beet out the 128, and were it didn't the 128 only beat the 64 by a slim margin. But don't take our word for it read the comparison reviews your self and then decide.

Wow guys, thanks for all the suggestions!

due to the fact that I fully intend on purchasing the NV30 when it comes out I think I'll just save the $22 and go with the 64MB...

what a tough decision....

P.S. I found THIS article from anadtech.com addressing the issue. The number differences just don't seem to warrent spending an extra $22 on a card thats going into my server in 3 months ;-)

thanks again guys!!!

I'll leave you with a quote from accelenation.com that I found

"In reality 128MB is only needed for very high resolutions with antialiasing — something like 1600x1200x32 with triple-buffering and 2X AA. Unless you plan on using this type of setting, the cheaper and slightly faster 64MB model represents a better option. "

glad to see you have made your choice, nice link you posted, I was surprised to see the the R8500 benefits by the extra 64 ddr while in Ti4200 that is not the case.

interesting quote at end of article, we all no the r8500 is not as fast as a ti4200 but it does offer something else

"Nevertheless, ATI RADEON 8500LE based graphics cards are slower than GeForce4 Ti4200 and attract our attention not by the performance but primarily by the peculiarities and features implemented in this chip"

csico kid

"In reality 128MB is only needed for very high resolutions with antialiasing — something like 1600x1200x32 with triple-buffering and 2X AA. Unless you plan on using this type of setting, the cheaper and slightly faster 64MB model represents a better option. "

<---- runs like this :D

Nice thread.

I've been trying to decide between the 8500LE w/ 128 mb or the Ti4200 w/ 128 mb.

I will be using the card for a while and I will be running Asheron's Call 2 so the extra 64 mb will make a huge difference. I'm just not sure if the 8500le will have enough power to run AC2 with everything on.

yeah I kinda cheated and went to the 3dmark site and looked at the comparative scores of all the boards and the order pretty much was 9700- 4600ti - 4400ti - 4200ti then the 8500 which scores on average 2000 less pts than the 4200ti. The 8500LE is even below that...

those of you familiar with mad onions site know what I'm talking about? The online result browser then just click compare projects or something

h0mersimps0n said:
yeah I kinda cheated and went to the 3dmark site and looked at the comparative scores of all the boards and the order pretty much was 9700- 4600ti - 4400ti - 4200ti then the 8500 which scores on average 2000 less pts than the 4200ti. The 8500LE is even below that...

those of you familiar with mad onions site know what I'm talking about? The online result browser then just click compare projects or something

8500LE if overclocked and benched in the same system as an 8500 64 ddr will post a higher score, I am nearing in on 10K and I can easliy break it but I just do not have the time, and I only have the vid card o/c'd at 300/300 with stock cooling

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4137698

http://service.madonion.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/componentcompare&projectType=6&cCriteria=1

there are 8500LE cards over 11000K points , fact of the matter is the faster your cpu the higher the score so to really compare you have to run each card in the same system

the 8500 LE card is just a good option for about $40-50+ less than a ti4200

cisco kid

Back