• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOHAA on AMD SMP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Has anyone run MOHAA on an AMD SMP machine? Are there known issues concerning this?

I can get the game to open and even load a game, but after a few seconds, it locks up the game.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a MSI K7D Master with Dual XP1800's and a Geforce 4 Ti4600. I was using Nvidia's 40.41 drivers, so I tried changing back to the 30.82 drivers. No difference. I have the affinity tool, but I'm a little unsure how to use it. I set the affinity filter on for the Geforce 4 and rebooted. That didn't help either.

I'm new to SMP. I hear that the Quake engine is SMP capable and MOHAA is based on the Quake 3 engine. Does that mean it's SMP capable? Do I have to do something special to turn it on?

BTW. I've run Ghost Recon, Army Operations, and Jedi Knight 2 on this machine without any problems.

There must be something interfearing with the system because my dualie runs MOHAA with all settings maxed and no slow down let alone a crash...

I saw in a earlier post that you had your processors OCed to 150Mhz FSB...maybe you should back that down a little and see if it helps

Spec

My dual system runs Medal of Honor just fine.

The Q3A engine games are SMP capable but it's a semi-broken implementation. It's not turned on by default, you have to turn it on manually (r_smp 1). The problem is, the SMP tweak works for very few 760MPX board owners.

I can tell you what I am running -
GF3 Ti200 with 30.82 drivers
The AMD chipset drivers from the MSI CD
Windows XP
Onboard sound with drivers from the CD

And my Durons are overclocked to 103x12 right now and my video is slightly overclocked as well though I can't remember to what (using Coolbits).

I've found that this setup works for all the games I play (MOHAA, Q3A, Q3TA, UT, THPS2, and Madden 2002) so I am kinda unwilling to change it... these SMP systems seem to be particularly sensitive to driver updates.

sb

I tried running at default speed, with no success.

How do I turn on the SMP manually? Maybe that would fix it.

cmcquistion said:
I tried running at default speed, with no success.

How do I turn on the SMP manually? Maybe that would fix it.

Doubtful... turning on SMP usually causes issues, not fixes them.

I think you have to add "r_smp 1" (w/o quotes) to the .cfg file. Last time I tried that it mucked everything up though, stuff was slow. And this was on Q3A, not MOHAA.

You should probably focus on getting MOHAA to work in non-SMP mode before trying SMP mode.

I have MOHAA installed on a secondary drive that I had in my old single-CPU system. I reinstalled MOHAA on top of itself when I set up this dual system, but I'm going to totally delete it and reinstall and see if that helps.

deleted all registry values and all files. Reinstalled and everything is working again. Thanks everyone for your help.

Got another problem. Once I got everything running, I added the (r_smp 1) thing and restarted the game. It froze while opening and I don't know how to undo the SMP enable thing. Can anyone help?

I got something from one of the dudes over at 2CPU for running Q3A engine games in realtime, SMP mode. I'll give it a try and if it works I'll let you know. I'd sure love to use both of my pathetic 1.2 GHz Durons so that maybe I could get a slightly better framerate than my 1 GHz Tbird/GF2 MX system... (right now they run games at about the same FPS)

Back