• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Right way to do the Flash BIOS trick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john deere

Registered
I´m going to try the flash BIOS trick to increase the default core voltage. When doing this, do I have to use some special string of commands (SN/CC/ etc) after typing "awdflash" in DOS or can I just run the flasher by typing "awdflash" + ENTER and let the program do it´s job?

The reason for this question is that depending on where you look, there are different instructions for the Flash BIOS trick. Some say "just flash the BIOS" (which to me means that you run awdflash.exe and follow the instructions on the screen), some say you should use only /CC after "awdflash" and some say you should type a long string om commands after "awdflash".

Is there a exact way that this should be done or is the important thing that I just flash BIOS?

/John

You need to post a lot more info on your system, on what you want from a "bios trick" etc etc. Nobody will be able to help you with this non-informative post...

He has an Abit BH6, this is sort of a continuation of another thread where I recommended that he find out more info about the BIOS flash trick. To be honest, it probably needs posted in the Abit mobo section.

Fizz,
sorry about being non-informative, but I figured the ones who has heard about or done this little volt-changing manoeuvre would know what I was talking about without any further details about my system.

Batboy,
Youré probably right about me posting this in the wrong section. I´ll drop in the Abit mobo section instead.

/John

If it helps any, I just used AWDFLASH with no additional parameters, that much I do remember. It don't hurt to try it that way first to see what happens.

Thanks Batboy, I´ll give it a try. The reason I didn´t try it right away is just that flashing the BIOS makes me feel a little uneasy. It´s not something a newbie like me does everyday if you know what I mean - I´ve heard a few stories about unsuccessful flashing... :-/

Anyway, I´ll let you know how it went.

/John

Yes, there is always a slight chance something might go wrong when flashing the BIOS (like a power failure). But, most of those horror stories were before they had handy little utility programs like AWDFLASH. The first time I flashed a BIOS, I was a little nervous. Oddly enough it was on my old BH6. But, I've flashed the BIOS on 5 different motherboards now and have flashed the BIOS on my current TH7-II mobo 5 times trying different modified and hacked BIOS files. It's fairly painless nowadays. Good luck.

Hey Batboy and everybody else,

I´m back from a nervous flashing session...I´m sorry to say that flashing BIOS didn´t do anything to raise the default core voltage on my BH6/Celeron 600. I might be doing something wrong though, cause this little manoeuvre seems to have worked fine for other BH6 owners.

According to Abit´s site you should clear CMOS by changing the CMOS jumper after re-flashing. Is that necessary or just some ancient way of flashing BIOS? When I upgraded BIOS to this newest version (SP), I never changed the CMOS jumper. The upgrade seemed to have worked anyway because I can see the new version name in the start-up screen and I also have higher clockfreqs to choose from in the soft menu.

Please tell me if you can spot anything wrong or if something is missing in the following. This is exactly what I have done:

1. In Soft Menu I choose the highest core voltage possible which is 1.7. Save to CMOS and exit.

2. Boot from a bootable floppy with awdflash.exe and the BIOS-file on it.

3. Run the AWDFLASH utility. Following the on screen instructions, no error messages. Exit.

4. Turn off power, remove the floppy, turn on power and boot. Press DEL for BIOS.

5. Load setup defaults. Check default core voltage: Still 1.5...

Hope you don´t think I´m wasting board space. Suggestions appreciated.

/John

Good news! The flash BIOS trick worked! Here´s what I did:

When booting from your BIOS-update floppy, type EXACTLY this + ENTER (without the quotation marks of course):

"awdflash /cc bh32_sp.bin"

bh32_sp.bin is the name of my BIOS-file so if you have another BIOS-file you´ll have to change that part of the command.

I have to admit I feel a bit stupid...In most places I´ve read about this trick, the command above is what everybody says you should type at the prompt. Could I follow these simple instructions? Nope. I figured running the AWDFLASH-utility (typing "awdflash" and following the on-screen instructions) would do the same thing as the command line above. Guess what? It didn´t.

And they all lived happily ever after...

/John

Yeah, 1.9 is max now. 1.7 is default and lowest is still 1.3.

I don´t want to raise the voltage too much before I have some better cooling though. Main thing is that I have more voltage options now.

/John

Not only do you have more vcore options, but now we made you a BIOS flashing expert. Ain't this forum wonderful. Better cooling first is a wise plan.

Back