• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Booting a System from a Server?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok guys Ive tried to see if I could find anything and have had no luck. And I think Im putting this in the right area, if not my apologies, just send me a hate PM and delete and Ill post it elsewhere. :D

Now what I am wanting to do is set up 1 machine as a server and have other machines boot from it. How can I do this without using linux? Last time I tried to install linux it nearly killed my hdd. Dont ask, but It was hell to get it back into working order.

I have 2k Pro or XP Pro, the server will be a Dual PPro system with a 10k scsi drive. So it should be ok for this from what Ive heard of this kinda setup.

Basiclly, I am about to have 5 more systems and I want to be able to get them up and running at least slightly without a hdd. I will be basiclly using these for F@H and nothing else. So what can anyone help me with here?
Thanks
IFMU

I know of some people trying to get diskless working using Windows oses as the server, but I haven't seen anything on it lately....

I am not sure on details, but the only Windows OS I know of that is designed for this type of thing is Terminal Server- no idea on client setup or licensing though.....YGPM

You need Windows 2000 Server, at minimum, for Terminal services. You could use Advanced Server or Datacenter, too... :)

Not sure how to get them to network boot, though. the only times I have used Termserv are here at work - and we use regular workstations with the Windows termserv client.

sb

Ok then anyone willing to explain how to do it with Linux? Keep in mind if you start saying go to the root and put in this that and the other and it will tell yea, Ill have to smack yea.

I have no freakin clue how to run any Linux OS. The last time I tried it nearly killed a scsi hdd.
So.... basiclly, I need an Idiots Guide to _______.

Anyone willing?

Back