• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

well thats it. ive brought a via c3 933

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

ive got the processor and h/s. but the mobo should arrive tomorrow. im gonna build me a wooden case from scratch, and its gonna be great! (i hope)

anyway ive asked this before but got mixed opinions - so ill ask again.

can i overclock this processor? if so what can i expect
oh and im getting the chaintech 6oia3t mini-Atx mobo. if that helps at all

james.miller said:
ive got the processor and h/s. but the mobo should arrive tomorrow. im gonna build me a wooden case from scratch, and its gonna be great! (i hope)

anyway ive asked this before but got mixed opinions - so ill ask again.

can i overclock this processor? if so what can i expect
oh and im getting the chaintech 6oia3t mini-Atx mobo. if that helps at all

Does the mobo allow for FSB and multiplier adjustments? If so, you could maybe overclock it, but I am not sure how well they overclock.

David

Some people do not know the meaning of the word can't....
Take our very own senior member Bender who has done some spectacular projects and amazing overclocks and as such I suspect Bender has also probably done a lot that people have told him can't be done or should not be done.
All this proves is that in terms of overclocking is that anything is possible, oh and the fact that Bender is in serious need of therapy :D

It's not a matter if you can OC the processor. If the Chaintech allows for OCing, yeah it will OC. If not, then no. :)

i ment what can i expect from the processor, overclocking-wise. its seems to be a bit of a grey area where nobody really knows.
as for the board - dont know cant find any info that says wiether it does or doesn't

Well, its true no one knows, cause hardly anyone uses these things...but, I would go as far as to say you should expect little in the way of overclocking, as these chips are not really made for performance (I hope you're not gaming on this thing) and the whole idea behind them, really, is to have a cool chip. Since overclocking creates heat, it kinda defeats the purpose....

Hmm, if nothing else, the cyrix will run with a very quiet fan. (perhaps even just passively??) Ideal for the living room / entertainment system application! :)

-- Paul

I would think you can overclock the hell outta the cyrix processor. It is designed to run cool, not fast. My guess is that you could close to double the speed of the cpu once you pump up the voltage and stick a very good heatsink with a delta fan on it.

BUT....why would you? Those things are not known to be powerful. The only thing they have going for them is the tiny motherboards and passive cooling. Take out the passive cooling and it isn't tiny and quiet any more.

originally posted by krusty
I would think you can overclock the hell outta the cyrix processor. It is designed to run cool, not fast. My guess is that you could close to double the speed of the cpu once you pump up the voltage and stick a very good heatsink with a delta fan on it.
thats what i thought. BTW at stock it doesnt need any fan.

macklin01 - BINGO! thats what im building it for.

Penguin4x4 - its the 933mhz ERZA core. 133*7.5 i think. it IS definatly a 133mhz bus, not 100mhz.

originally posted by garasaki
(I hope you're not gaming on this thing)

hey, quake3 was totally playable on my old pII-350 with a geforce2mx. it will do most gaming good enough

oh and i downloaded the manual for the board it it does have overclocking features. its quite a good board actually

Ahh, I had a feelin'. :) I've been tempted to do the same thing for a long time, actually. But it seems more expensive than just buying a DVD player, which is all we'd really need ... but what a terrific project! I can't wait to see the pics.

You're absolutely right -- I would think that the C3 would be more than sufficient for those purposes, esp. if you have a decent gfx card.

BTW, which mobo do you plan to use? Micro ATX form? -- Paul

yeah the chaintech 6oia3t is a micro ATX
Here it is

its worked out cheaper than my dvd player cost me. im really gonna be using it more for music and such, cause my toshiba blows my pc away when it comes to dvd's.

oh and im gonna stick my gf4 in there so that'll do it just fine i think

Oh, so its a C3, not a Cyrix? Good, as you'll not have to worry about an extra 5W to dissipate. 10W, 1.35V@ Stock; makes a 1.6A look like a 1.4 TBird, :D:D If you could get it to around 1.2-1.3 GHz, it'd work just fine IMHO, because the C3/Cyrix lacks SSE2 and some other optimizations, It will run about as fast as a 1GHz PIII/Celeron, :)

Heck, runnin at a 50% OC at 1.95V would still be only 31W to dissipate. add Alpha PAL8045 and a Sanyo Denki 29dB Fan, nd your set.:D:D:D:D:D

wow... max temp according to that chart should be 90 celsius. i'm betting at least 50% overclock. low voltage so you should be able to pump it up pretty easy.

good luck :)

james.miller said:
hey, quake3 was totally playable on my old pII-350 with a geforce2mx. it will do most gaming good enough

I had the exact same system! A dell with a Hercules vid card in it...and yeah, Q3 was playable, but not newer games!

Back