• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refridgerated system question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

OK, i'm a bit of n00b when it comes to refridgeration and I'm sure someone has done this before but I was thinking of putting my existing rad, fans and pump inside a bar fridge, with the addition of a copper(for cooling) res. Do people think this is a viable way to accomplish a "no-fuss" refridgeration system?

The theory is sound to me, I have pondered the same thing other than the using of an exterior cooling mechanism. My plan was to incorporate an internal reservoir cooling scheme.

Good luck brother, and post the results plz.

Thats not a bad idea, but I would recommend using the evaporator in your res to cool the water. This is the setup I use, and I always get sub zero temps (even though the temp probe on the mobo is broken I used another temp probe) Tiger wrote a good article on this, I think its in the misc. section on the main site.
Good Luck

From personal experience the route you have described does not work very well. The reason being that the heat transfer is still air based since you are using cold air from the fridge to carry the heat. I found that not only is there a big lag time but the fridge is unable to cool the air quickly enough because air is a poor medium in comparison to water. You can go this route but I recommend using fan in the fridge to move air over the evaporator to improve thermal transfer.

I have no problems with my refrigerated setup, check out the link in my sig below...also here is a pic or 2...

fridge-open.jpg

radiator.jpg

I get very low temps, with very little condensation. I prepped my mobo and cpu for condensation 1st anyway, so I have no problems at all.

cooling using a fridge is iffy at best. sometimes it works some times it doesnt. not all fridges are the same with diffrent refridgerants and compressor size with diffrent heatload ratings. i used a mini with mine evap droped in the res temps were only stable on a short term basis but that also had to do with its ****ty condensor. so anyways it WILL work to a point it depends on your fridge. i personaly have more trust in self built systems as you can set them up to exact specs. and get lower temps but not everyone is that crafty or willing to spend the money.

Back