• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor related question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cornbread

Hey guys/gals :)

I just purchased a new processor for my mobo that will take me from 1.2ghz to a 2.0ghz, which my mobo does accept by the way. I was wondering, is it ok to just switch them out? Will windows run ok or will I need to reformat?

whenever you do a major upgrade, its always a good idea to reformat. I've had windows 9x run for a while after changing processors, however I've never been able to get an NT based os to even run after a processor upgrade.

I've been switching between a 1.4 Tbird and a xp2000 the last week or so under windows 2000.

Not had any problems, but that is all i have changed.

I have nevre had a problem Swapping CPU's.....
Motherboards i Have had problems with, and always will be a reformat/reinstall....

Only time i think you really need to do a reinstall of the OS is if the CPU yu are adding has new instructions added to it, so the OS can take advantage of them....

But, i also reinstall my OS everyfew months aswell, a fresh OS install is like getting a brand new computer all over again

If you can, reformat.

If not, it should work OK.

David

Back