Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Good cases for water cooling

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 09:23 PM Thread Starter   #1
Deathknight

Good cases for water cooling

I am in the planning stages of building a new water cooled rig. I am trying to determine what would be a good case for the job. I haven't really locked into any specific equipment yet but I don't think I want to have to gut the inside of a small case to get it to fit and I want to run 120mm fans.

What are some of the more popular cases that you guys have had experience with? I wouldn't mind a sharp looking case but the main thing I am looking for is a case that I won't be frustrated with because of space/layout.
Deathknight is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-12-02, 09:35 PM   #2
TheGhengisKhan
BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam

an Antec full-server case would be a good, easy-use, case with plenty of room. Although if you want something more extreme (in size) you could go here: http://www.thechipmerchant.com/41507-0.html
TheGhengisKhan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-12-02, 11:07 PM   #3
pby5cat

i like this one http://www.directron.com/9804.html
there is a 120mm fan mount in front but u will have to shorten the 3.5in rack to fit a rad, also it's cheep.

2X HIS ATI HD3870 in Crossfire (835,1206)
WD 150Gb Raptor and Maxtor 250Gb DiamondMax10
2X Samsung DVD-RW DL SATA
Silverstone OP850
Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme (lapped)
thats it, and proud of it.
My Heatware
pby5cat is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-13-02, 03:48 AM   #4
FIZZ3

I'd recommend a full tower too. I have a mid-sized Coolermaster and I have to build an additional box to house all the parts... fun but not the most efficient way of housing a pc.

Anyway, I like the Addtronics server case with its 120mm front intake. Ideal place for a rad... and not too many cases come with such big intakes.

Here:

http://www.addtronics.com/7896A.htm

or:

http://www.addtronics.com/6896a.htm

2x WD Raptor 150Gb | Plextor PX-760SA
Lian Li V2000 Plus | Corsair HX620
Dell 2407WFP | Logitech Z-5500

Laptop: Sony VAIO Z11
Intel i5-520M | 4Gb | Nvidia GT330M | 2x64Gb RAID-0 SSD | 13" 1600x900 panel
FIZZ3 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-13-02, 05:11 AM   #5
Seal

any one suggest a mid tower sized case thats not too big/heavy? Im taking it to uni and am going to upgrade to watercooling soon.

i want a plain but good case to mod thats not too expensive but am willing to spend if its a good case. im not a fan of those cheap plastic buttons and bays that are supposed to make it look good, theyre just cheap and nasty. 3, preferably 4 or more 5" bays would be nice too.

also are alu cases lighter than steel ones? i quite like the look of those lian li cases
Seal is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-13-02, 04:37 PM Thread Starter   #6
Deathknight

Thanx for all the replies guys. I will definatly check those cases out.

Seal I have an an aluminum case right now (Lian-Li PC65B) and I almost laughed myself silly when I picked it up before adding all my gear to it. There is an amazing weight difference in a nice all aluminum case.

1 negative to the reduced weight though is that I notice that the case body does not deaden vibration as much as a steel case does.
Old 09-13-02, 05:30 PM   #7
RnPgrosz

You can get a Chieftec Server case from Newegg(same as the Antec cases but don't have Antec PSU). Just make sure you get the aluminum version because the steel is very heavy.
RnPgrosz is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-13-02, 06:17 PM   #8
masitti

Chieftecs/Antecs are the best for watercooling - you can put the heatercore in the front and the pump behind the HD cage.
masitti is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 09-13-02, 07:28 PM Thread Starter   #9
Deathknight

Anyone every use a Lian-Li PC-76? It appears to be very roomy. If you removed the hard drive cages I would imagine you would have all the spaces you need. They provide 4 80mm fans to provide the hard drives so that gives a pretty good idea of the amount of room. Of course if I wanted to use 1 120mm fan I would probably have to mod the case a little to attach it.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop