• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use JBweld for ultimate cpu shim.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildfrogman

I have used JBweld for basicaly a shim if you can call it that. I was in search of the best way to keep the corners from getting crunched ever. I put JBweld all around the cpu core and waited a bit as it tends to slowly slide and flow away from the edges of the cpu. Then i put on another layer and now i have VERY strong cpu corners and sides and such. I made sure to have the JBweld not be above the level of the cpu core also as that would be bad. Oh and if you get any JBweld on your core just get some solvent and run it off before it hardens. Maybe a little lapping also if there is any left afterwards. Hope this helps sombody. Heh,and JBweld is like 3~4 bucks for two fairly large tubes and if you never tried it you should get some quick its that good.

just wondering what was your reason for needing a shim? sounds like a pretty permanent thing

shims are a good idea as they do help prevent cracking your cpu, i just bought one of those anodized ones from crazy PC, but what you have done does sound a little permanent.

have you fired it up yet, does it work?

makes me wonder also...is jbweld conductive at all? coz that could cause some probs if it touches any bridges.

Alternative to a metal shim

I got real worried while trying to install an ORB cooler, and I didn't want to wait (I have previously mentioned that I have NO patience) so I cast about a bit to find some I could hack up.

I found the the liner from the cap of a 1 liter bigmouth soda bottle was the same thickness as my core, so I cut a square in it with a box cutter.

Works great.

where's the camera, I'll post it I swear

JBweld isnt electrically conductive but i hear it is fairly good thermally conductive though for epoxy. Yeah it works really good. I dont think i could crack the core if i tried. All the edges are reinforced by JDweld and its very hard like a rock. I will be doing this on my 1600+ when i overclock and sooner or later get my giant home made heatsink with the 3/4 inch copper base bolted down on it. I will be going water cooling with one of my rigs soon and the other will be the giant heatsink if i can finish it.

My 1.4 tbird currently has JBweld on the cpu. I took the foam feet and replaced them with the JBweld. It took a little time and a lot of patience, but my cpu is far safer than it was with the little squishy foam feet.

For those of you that don't know how to do this. here are some nice instructions:

you need:
JBweld
small piece of glass (like a 5*7 picture frame glass)
WD-40 or similar oily liquid.
stamp pad
sheet of paper

razor blade (in case you mess up)
rubbing alcohol (to clean your cpu core)

Mix the JBweld up and just let it sit for a few hours. It has an 8 hour cure time, so it is quite runny for a long time. When it becomes the consistancy of very firm clay(almost too hard to manipulate), remove the feet from your cpu and put some small balls of JB weld where the feet used to be. Be careful to keep it away from the traces. You don't want it permanantly covering your bridges.

spray some WD-40 on the glass and smear it around a bit so it's a nice, uniform, thin layer. Press the cpu down on the glass while moving it around on the glass. If you stop moving for more than a few seconds, the JBweld will stick to the glass and you'll have to start over again.

After about an hour of being safe and moving the cpu around on the glass while pressing firmly over the core, slide the cpu off the glass and prepare to test your new feet. Use the JBweld feet and your cpu core as a stamp. Clean off the glass and put the sheet of paper on the glass. Lightly press the cpu on the ink pad and make a stamp on the paper. Don't press too hard. This is a test to make sure your core is at the same level as the feet. If you don't get a nice square and 4 little circles on the paper, you messed up. Pay particular attention to the part of the stamp made from the cpu core. If part of the core stamp didn't make it to the paper, that part of the core won't make it to your heatsink.

If everything is all good, clean off your core and place your cpu face up somewhere to finish curing over night. If it was a bad stamp, scrape off your JBweld and start over.

I have stuck my glaciator heatsink on my cpu maybe 15 times and stuck on my dangerden Maze2 waterblock about 10 times and have never even got close to hurting my cpu core.

That's like Tim Whittaker's website explains, though using epoxy putty. Been up for a while.

http://www.bunkermentality.net/protection.html

Another great idea is to add thermal paste to the core, set it down on a piece of 2mm copper 2" x 2", then silicone around the edge to seal it to the cpu with some weight in the middle to squish the thermal goop. Viola...One heatspreader, and not permanent either.

Yeah, glad this has helped a few people. I thought it was crazy but would work so i did it and guess what? it worked so i am happy with it and is cheaper than a shim. Just make sure if you use some epoxy other than JBweld that it wont cause some chemical interaction with the organic package of the athlons and possiblye eat it away and short it out. I just hope this will get people to check the ingredients~chemicals and interactions and electrical conductivity into account as it would be bad to have an epoxy eat and kill an athlon.

Back