• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backside cooling of Slot A Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=UR=- Ranger

I´ve made the experiment, to cool the backside of my Slot A Athlon as well, using some 50 mm high output fan. I simply glued it to the metal brackets at the backside.
Works fine for me, cooled down my CPU by 4 degrees.
Did anyone else try this?

I did a similar thing, cooling the back side of my Socket A motherboard with a 50mm fan. I saw about a 4°C drop as well. This temp wasn't a true reading, though, since the thermosistor(sp?) is actually insualted in a nice little hot spot under the CPU. But I'll take any temp drop I can get.

I know those Athlons run hotter than P-III's and any cooling is good, but I tried a little back door cooling with my P-III 700 using a 40mm fan and only got an extra 1/2 to 1 degree drop. After I swapped my 60mm Delta fan for a 80mm fan on the FOP CPU cooler and got a nice drop in temps with that mod, I abandoned the backside fan. I say try it, nothing to lose and lots to gain, but your mileage may vary.

Back