• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do YOU overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Ive noticed some things on software overclocking. So, the big question is, do you overclocking by software or BIOS?
I overclock by using the BIOS. old fashion, and you know its overclocked. Never use the software stuff.

Pretty much, software overclocking is for those whose motherboards do not support bios overclocking or only support a very limited range. It can also be useful for those who use peltiers so the cooling effect has time to kick in before the chip really starts to fly.

Well, I should have considered software OC'ing with my AMD 800 rig (worse BIOS I've ever encountered), but I just didnt bother knowing I was getting a new one that would be dope as shizzels.

-YB

Doesnt anybody use jumpers and dip switches anymore? J/K

i use the BIOS to up the FSB and dip switches to adjust the multiplier on my main rig...my dell, well its a dell I dont OC it cause I would have to do i through software. and my ol' AMD K6-2 550 I OC with jumpers... the motherboard is from 1998 before BIOS OCing became standard.

I use the mobo manual to set the jumpers on my board, I usually get good O/C's!
LOL j/j (I use BIOS)

I'm so old-school it hurts. BIOS all the way, baby! For processors, anyways.

When it comes to videocards, I use software (you kinda have to :))

Well I OC through the BIOS and use software to OC the vid card. there's no point in shutting ur system off and then back on all the time, if u can do it with BIOS. I used jumpers to OC my ex K6-3 rig tho.
BIOS O/C is a really nice thing, takes less time and less stress on the components as less power downs/ups are requiered.

Back