• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux box in a Windows LAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

Have a Q about adjusting my newly assembled Linux box (Mandrake 8.2) in my all Windows LAN. How do I adjust the MTU size in Linux?

I think this is the problem I'm having with some websites not fully loading. The MaxMTU reg fix works in all the Windows machines, but being totally new to Linux, I haven't a clue where to go to change it.

FYI, the machine can access the net through the Windows "router" just fine. But some pages only partially load, and some don't load at all. On the Win machines, this is fixed by adjusting my MaxMTU setting for the NIC to 1454 in the registry. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do on the new box.

Hopefully I can squeeze this is in and get an answer before the forums go down for the move. :)

Finally got my Google search terms right and found the howto here. Specifically,

ifconfig <interface> <ip-address> MTU <number>

from a terminal window. Easy enough. And it works.

For stuff like this, you would have better luck posting in the Alternative OS, or OS forums.

Ya, it was a toss-up between there and here. Luckily I found the answer. I'm sure I'll have more questions for the OS forums sometime later. :)

Back