• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KDS 195TF 19inch .24 any1 have this monitor???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

Well ive been in the market for a new monitor for a while. getting tired of this .26/28 pitch nec i have :/ . it kinda sucks for games, and as i sit so close it isnt that sharp.
but anyways.

the KDS 195TF 19inch .24 ag pitch is what i want. AV-195TF specs
i found it on ebay for 175+ship/tax total 239.
i thought it was an awesome 1 time only deal, i was wrong.
the montior is on Pricewatch for 224~239 shipped (only 2 stores have it in stock)

So what i wanna know is if Any1 has had/used this monitor?
the sony tube is one of the best, and the only complaint ive heard is the text can be a tad fuzzy, but that review said the veiwsonic monitor they compaired with the kds was a lil worse.

So anyone know anything about this montior?

I have it and I got it off Ebay as well. Well I've done research on it and heard some of them work perfectly for about a year the break. I can't confirm that since mine has been running withouta hitch for a couple of months now. However, I do suspect that the heat coming of the monitor might be the problem in thelong run, since when I touched it it used to be REALLY warm. So I made sure that wouldn't be the problem and picked up a monitor cooler for like $12 and the heat isn't a problem.

About the quality, I like it very much there is a squigly thing coming down in the middle of the screen but I've gotten so used to it that I don't even see it anymore heh. It's great for gaming and as an overall monitor so I do recommend it. Hope this helps.

WiNnErPL said:
I have it and I got it off Ebay as well. Well I've done research on it and heard some of them work perfectly for about a year the break. I can't confirm that since mine has been running withouta hitch for a couple of months now. However, I do suspect that the heat coming of the monitor might be the problem in thelong run, since when I touched it it used to be REALLY warm. So I made sure that wouldn't be the problem and picked up a monitor cooler for like $12 and the heat isn't a problem.

About the quality, I like it very much there is a squigly thing coming down in the middle of the screen but I've gotten so used to it that I don't even see it anymore heh. It's great for gaming and as an overall monitor so I do recommend it. Hope this helps.

Well if heat wont be much a prob, as i will be putting an ac unit Right above my desk, so ill have 70f or so air blowing in most of the day.
But the line down the middle might be a prob.

Da Whip said:
If you have a Sams Club near you there is a Samtron 96BDF(made by Samsung for the European market) that has .20 dot pitch, flat screen and 1600x1200 @ 68Mhz for $200. I have bought 4 of them for customers and am very impressed.

http://www.samtron.com/product/96bdf_fea.html

.20 pitch isnt ag pitch. that monitor uses the old style tubes. im looking for an ag pitched monitor 19" .24/.25 for about 250 or sell shipped.
id really like the kds av-21tf, its just like the 19" one i want but 2" bigger, but its impossible to find new now.

Cheap monitors suck, spend as much as you see fit on a monitor, your eyes and brain will thank you later. i spent $380 on my 19" LG Flatron with a slot mask (read: no AG wires going across the screen, brighter image than shadow mask, the best of both worlds). I never have CRT burnout, even after 5-6 hours of typing schoolwork. The only bad thing about the monitor that i have confirmed with my own eyes and hardware sites have said is that the geometry can get kind of bad at high resolutions (1600x1200 and higher). Since I never go above 1280x1024 in everyday use, it isn't a problem for me. But I will never ever again use a fishbowl monitor for my personal computer again. Make sure you look around and research before you buy, and if possible, go and try to find one in a store to try out. That's what turned me away from the NEC and Viewsonic models I almost bought.

KDS is good

I have the VS195i KDS, the non-flat 19". It looks great. It has razor sharp text at 1280 and looks awesome in all respects. It was cheap, even 8 months or so ago when it was new.

The TF series KDS looks odd to me, like all TF sets. Maybe it's from looking at conventional CRT's for 25 years, but TF sets look unnatural to me, as though I am looking through a fishbowl. The non TF set is very close to flat, personally I prefer it.

No matter what the best case scenario for a given monitor, how good of an example you get is the biggest factor in the image quality achieved. If you can go through 10 monitors of any make or model you will likely find a perfect example. And you will also find many dogs, especially if UPS is the delivery method employed. If you can find an in any way competitive price at a local outlet it really helps because you can exchange until you get a good set, and hopefully they truck in a pallet at a time preventing wear and tear in transit. UPS is simply not good on the delicate adjustments critical to top notch CRT performance.

Bear in mind that these comments apply equally to all CRT's, regardless of price, specification, or reputation. A bad example (and there are all too many) of even the "best" monitor in the world will deliver worse results than a golden example of a more ordinary monitor.

speedy4500 said:
Cheap monitors suck, spend as much as you see fit on a monitor, your eyes and brain will thank you later.

The KDS 195AV-TF is NOT a cheap monitor. I've had mine about a year and a half, and love mine (think I paid around $300 at the time). Since then, 2 of my friends have purchaced the same model because they liked mine so much. I also have no "lines" running down my screen as someone had indicated, and neither do my friends. There is hardly any glare, the colors are bright and it runs flicker free (4 me) at 85Mhz. The monitor also should come with the KDS 'karez' program, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a 3 year warranty where they will drop ship u a new one if anything goes wrong before you send the old one back. That was fairly uncommon when I did my research on what monitor to purchace.

The monitor is not being actively produced anymore, which could be why you are getting it for a good price.

I'm a newb to the form, but not to 'puting and have been very happy w/ mine ;)

Re: KDS is good

larva said:
I have the VS195i KDS, the non-flat 19". It looks great. It has razor sharp text at 1280 and looks awesome in all respects. It was cheap, even 8 months or so ago when it was new.

The TF series KDS looks odd to me, like all TF sets. Maybe it's from looking at conventional CRT's for 25 years, but TF sets look unnatural to me, as though I am looking through a fishbowl. The non TF set is very close to flat, personally I prefer it.

I missed this one before I posted. If you don't own one, I could see why you would think it looks like a fishbowl. It's because the screen is so shiny (very noticible when it's off). It's hard to explain - it does look very different when it's off (you don't have that 'flat paint' look), but that's one of the things that I feel makes it so nice when it's on. Like I said, although the screen looks very shiny, there is still hardly any glare and no distortion on any part of the screen. The text for me has always been sharp and crisp.

I'm sure there are better monitors to be had out there, but I think this is a very good one.

Just my opinion........

Re: Re: KDS is good

djeff said:

It does look very different when it's off (you don't have that 'flat paint' look), but that's one of the things that I feel makes it so nice when it's on.

Hehe, I've never judged any monitor with it off :D

The affect I'm talking about is just the affect of looking at a truly flat tube. For 25 years I've used conventional glass, so a truly flat tube appears to my mind as though the edges actually flare out towards the user. It's just that my mind has grown to perceive the conventional tube as flat, and it required adjustment for me to enjoy a TF tube.

I love my KDS, I just don't rule out the "non-flat" variety of this or any other monitor. Some makers flat screens are way better, others produce nice results on on either. With KDS there is is no pressing reason to live and die for the TF model, but I would certainly not turn one down if you like the way they look.

djeff said:

The KDS 195AV-TF is NOT a cheap monitor. I've had mine about a year and a half, and love mine (think I paid around $300 at the time). Since then, 2 of my friends have purchaced the same model because they liked mine so much. I also have no "lines" running down my screen as someone had indicated, and neither do my friends. There is hardly any glare, the colors are bright and it runs flicker free (4 me) at 85Mhz. The monitor also should come with the KDS 'karez' program, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a 3 year warranty where they will drop ship u a new one if anything goes wrong before you send the old one back. That was fairly uncommon when I did my research on what monitor to purchace.

The monitor is not being actively produced anymore, which could be why you are getting it for a good price.

I'm a newb to the form, but not to 'puting and have been very happy w/ mine ;)

Well baised on your experience i think ill order it. i found it online for 224 shipped. im gonna wait a few days be4 i buy it, cuz id really rather have the AV-21tf the 21" model but 800 for it from 2 other stores is crazy. So Thanks for the info.

Yah, i i think thats the monitor i have, the KDS Trini right. I got mine off ebay too, only 180 shipped :D.

The only complaint i have is that it has started making noise at 60hz, although it sounds really bad its been doing it for a month with NO problems. Its only at 60 hz, and i think it MAY be caused either directly or indirectly by magnetic interferience from my water pump. See, my pump causes the screen to shake at 85 hz (which is as high as it will OFFICIALLY go. But it works fine at 1280x1024 @150HZ. I generally run it at 100hz to get rid of the shake, but then it gets that noise at 60 hz, and i dont know what causes it, and its not ALL the time.

Overall a nice monitor though, and im happy considering what i paid for it.

Back