• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Peltier???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Autopsy/CCL

Registered
I'm currently testing a new cooling system i made...

Senfu pump 600L/H Big Audi modded heatercore, Maze style homemade head, 1/2" coldplate and a 172W 24V Peltier.

I use a 24W 27A Nemic Lambda Switchmode PSU at 22V.

Problem:

The coldplate doesn't even get near freezing point without load!!!

The water temp is 40 deg. celcius ann ambient is 23 deg. celsius.

Has anybody experienced that???

Is it a bad peltier???

Regards...

Autopsy... :(

What sort of cooling/fans do you have on your heatercore?
I think your water temp is quite high. Have you calculated your water temp as an average of many readings over time, or did you just measure it once. It could be the heatercore isn't getting rid of your heat, and so the temps keep increasing, and this lowers the effectiveness of your pelt.
Also, what is the flow like in your system?
Have you a lot of clamping pressure for the pelt in between the coldplate and waterblock?
What thermal compound are you using?
What, and how much insulation are you using, on mobo, cpu and aroung coldplate?

24W is not much for a power supply. Are you sure about those numbers? Remeber, Volts x amps = Watts. You would need almost 600W PSU to get 27A at 22V.

Well... The thing is that i haven´t even mounted it on the mobo yet...

No heat is added to the coldplate beside the ambient temp. of 23 deg. C.

The exact setup is:

Pump: Senfu 600L/Hr. 1/2" Hoses´n barbs.

Head. DIY Head (Large! 500grams) with 172W Kryotherm drift .8
at 22V and a 1/2" 80x50 Copperplate lapped to a mirror finish using slipoline (Equals 1200G paper).

Radiator: heatercore from an Audi equipped with a 12" (12 INCH!)
Car radiator fan capable of delivering at least 400CFM!!!

Power Supply: Nemic Lambda 24V/27A Switch mode.

This reply is for JStic...

The PSU is not 24Watts BUT 24 VOLTS... at 27A...

Something like:

24x27=648 Watts of raw power!!!

NOT the source of the problem...

Regards...

Do you have the coldplate tightly clamped to the waterblock, with the pelt in between? You need something like 150lbs/sq. inch of pressure. I've seen people try to tie them together with zip ties which obviously is a mistake.

Well the plates (head,pelt,coldplate) are assembled with 4x3mm machine screws, and if i apply more tension i either crush the peltier or rip out the screw holes in the head...

Just tested with a 50w Melchor pelt, and nice ice crystals appeared on the coldplate...

Conclusion: One .8 Drift Kryotherm for RMA...

:mad:

Back