• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are VIA cyrixs any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

Just wondering if the via c3's are any good. I saw some on ebay for cheap, and heard they run very cool. I ran a benchie on sandra and it said the 800mhz c3 could only run as fast as the pentium 233mhz :eek: I know these chips were never popular, but why do they suck so much? Must not have a big l1 and l2 cache..

233 MHZ Pentium???? Its more like 667MHz PIII performance, :) james.miller has one, you could PM him bout it. :D

They're also incapable of 3D work. But if you're building a machine for anything but 3D they're still not the best deal when it comes to price-versus-performance.

The one thing they're good for is running cool. I've heard that if you've got outstanding airflow through your case, you don't even need a heatsink for one of them.

the c3's are very popular with people who build htpc's for thier cars, the consume less power and run cooler than most other cpu's, making them a good choice for mobile MP3 players and divx boxes....where processing power isnt the main concern.

There is one mobo, I think it's a VIA with a C3 built in and a vid card sound card everything cept hard drive and ram, and it's only about 4 or 5in square.

Intrepid6546 said:
There is one mobo, I think it's a VIA with a C3 built in and a vid card sound card everything cept hard drive and ram, and it's only about 4 or 5in square.

17cm square (6.69 inches). Mini-ITX form factor

Last edited:
i used to have a C3 600 i could overclock it stable to 750Mhz but im telling you, its horrid with any type of 3d application. i could barely play black and white with all the settings on low and thats when i have a c3 600 , soyo mobo, 394 megs SRdram, same vid card as in my sig, same hd as in my sig. then i upped to a celeron 900 @1.2 . then to my current sig. but if your short on cash and just need something to get you by for a bit then yah they will work.

yep the closest you will get to that size is in the Shuttle cubes for a socketA board...

c3 800-933's give about celeron 500 performance, not that good, and its due to a very weak fpu, low cache, and a slow internal architecture, best left to the situations where u dont need power, but something that runs quiet and cool.

Back