• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For those of you that changed your HSF on your 8500s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chan

Which HSF did you guys use? I'm thinking about using the crystal orb but I'm parinoid on noise.

The majority of the users change to an IU Cooler, then the Corb, or a Pentium heatsink.

PS: The fans on that thing are like 1cm in height and 40mm in diameter from corner to corner, how can you POSSIBLY hear that thing? The corb would be louder.

Yodums said:
The majority of the users change to an IU Cooler, then the Corb, or a Pentium heatsink.

PS: The fans on that thing are like 1cm in height and 40mm in diameter from corner to corner, how can you POSSIBLY hear that thing? The corb would be louder.

Well I was reading the specs on it and it said like 26dB now the exhaust on my car is 95dB and I actually love it :)

I'm trying to make my PC as quiet as possible since I can't stand sleeping with something whining at night.

first of all its 1u, not iu.

second, he said he wants a corb but is paranoid about the noise. that means he is hesitant because hes afraid the crystal orb will make too much noise over the stock one.

my suggestion, and what im going to do soon is get one of the 1u coolers. theyre a much more serious unit than the pretty little orb thingies and cost almost the same.

the best one is supposed to be by cooljag. newegg has 2 different ones. the original($16) and then a newer one(17) thats a bit smaller. 62mm square i think, versus something like 62x68. one thing though, is that you need to cut a piece off of the corner of anything this much larger than 40x40, because some capacitors on the 8500 will interfere with it.

also, i bet any of these will be louder than youd like. you could switch the fan to a quieter thicker 60mm one if it wouldnt interfere with PCI cards. or you could go to the anandtech article from a while back that did a roundup of a bunch of 1u HSFs and see what is quietest.

ill probably grab the newer cooljag unit because i like ordering from newegg and they have it cheap. i dont care about noise at all because i wont be able to hear it over everything else anyways.

advanR said:
first of all its 1u, not iu.

second, he said he wants a corb but is paranoid about the noise. that means he is hesitant because hes afraid the crystal orb will make too much noise over the stock one.

my suggestion, and what im going to do soon is get one of the 1u coolers. theyre a much more serious unit than the pretty little orb thingies and cost almost the same.

the best one is supposed to be by cooljag. newegg has 2 different ones. the original($16) and then a newer one(17) thats a bit smaller. 62mm square i think, versus something like 62x68. one thing though, is that you need to cut a piece off of the corner of anything this much larger than 40x40, because some capacitors on the 8500 will interfere with it.

also, i bet any of these will be louder than youd like. you could switch the fan to a quieter thicker 60mm one if it wouldnt interfere with PCI cards. or you could go to the anandtech article from a while back that did a roundup of a bunch of 1u HSFs and see what is quietest.

ill probably grab the newer cooljag unit because i like ordering from newegg and they have it cheap. i dont care about noise at all because i wont be able to hear it over everything else anyways.

I don't understand what you mean by cutting or how to cut the HSF, I'm a newbie to overclocking and don't know much but...which is quieter the corb or the cooljags?

Hey what do you guys think of the Vantec Iceberg CCB-A1C? I think its a little bigger than the crystal orb.

welcome Chan!

theres a great write up on how to replace the 8500's cooling on the main page here:

www.overclockers.com (then click on the left side where it says Video Cooling and Performance or something like that)

you'll find a bunch of cooling articles, from the chip itself, to the RAM sinks... good luck!

Back