• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, one time in band camp...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yer_huckleberry

A couple of days ago I was getting my overclock on and things were starting to look up since I had learned a few things from the fellow forum members here when things started to go drastically down hill.

Prime95 was locking up with no warning.

My primary and secondary IDE failed!:eek:

It kept rebooting itself.

So I decided maybe I was pushing my rig a little hard. Started toning things down to no evail. Finally got it to boot in to windows, (had to skip the file system check or it would just reboot from there before ever reaching windows) and sat there for a minute taking everything in to perspective. Then I just decided to reinstall xp again over itself. Don't really know why I decided to do this...maybe it was the computer gods at work again. Anyway, after 30 or so minutes of this tedious operation I rebooted...and everything has been rock stable since!:confused:
I had gone to windows update just for the hell of it and it had me as needing all kinds of updates I had in the past incuding xp sp1. I went ahead and played the game and redownloaded all that stuff and like I said, my system has been rock stable since. Don't get it really but I am happy none the less.

I just don't like not knowing what the hell was going on with it in the first place.

Ah well, til next time...

most likely you corrupted a file and the reinstall has fixed it.
push your overclock back up to where it was when you got the error and see if it happens again. :D

if it does happen again, you could try repairing the installation rather than reinstalling and see if that works as well.
you repair it by booting from the cd and going into the recovery console. you press r when it gets to the screen asking what you want to do.

Ahhh...good tip. Now I'll have to see if I can set a record of how many times someone could purposefully crash their rig!:p

The repair option sounds much more effecient than doing a full reinstall.

Thanks again.

Just FYI- when you get to the point that OS files are actually corrupted on the harddisk, as opposed to temporary ram read corruption, it's a good sign the PCI speed is the culprit. Been there and elsewhere too. =D

PCI speed aint a prob on abits lock teh pci @ 33 that sets agp at 66 and ur sorted....my mem stopped me oc'in my willamet until I set as ddr200 instead of 266 now on 1840 for a 1600

Back