• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Has anyone heard of, seen or tried a finned water block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
K

Kryten

After reading several other posts I started thinking...
if the CPU is the hottest component (no pelt being used), or peltier would be if one was included, either way both of them would be in direct contact with the waterblock as this is the item that is trying it's hardest to exchange heat from CPU/Pelt into increased water temp and water can only absorb so much heat in the brief time it is in the waterblock...
I'm just wondering if the waterblock had fins and a fan that drew air away from the waterblock (something like an Alpha6035, maybe into a vent of some kind that transferred that heat to outside the case) this would have to reduce the temperature of the water block so instead of the water absorbing heat from the copper of the waterblock it could absorb more of the heat from the pelt.

it's not really necessary to post then bump the post 14 mins later as anyone who hasn't been here for a while will see the unread post in bold letters.

You raise a valid point, but give people the chance to log on before bumping it. Not too many are here at this time of day/night. =)

Shadow ÒÓ (Apr 19, 2001 07:59 a.m.):
it's not really necessary to post then bump the post 14 mins later as anyone who hasn't been here for a while will see the unread post in bold letters.

You raise a valid point, but give people the chance to log on before bumping it. Not too many are here at this time of day/night. =)

Had to take a second look to make sure it has been a day and 14 minutes

I read a review/article, where the author had either danger den or swiftech mill one of their blocks in a fin pattern on the inside, instead of the classic maze. He tested it against the maze version with no significant improvement in performance. I remember being surprised by the result, because my gut feeling was that with the increased surface area in the water flow stream, that more heat transfer should have occurred. I don't remember where I read the article, unfortunately.

Hoot

Hoot (Apr 19, 2001 12:01 p.m.):
I read a review/article, where the author had either danger den or swiftech mill one of their blocks in a fin pattern on the inside, instead of the classic maze. He tested it against the maze version with no significant improvement in performance. I remember being surprised by the result, because my gut feeling was that with the increased surface area in the water flow stream, that more heat transfer should have occurred. I don't remember where I read the article, unfortunately.

Hoot

I was actually talking about having the fins on the outside but....
It is a very good point that you raise, I would have thought more surface area would equate into greater cooling, the only reason I could see why it wasn't any more effiecent is possibly due to water not exiting as cleanly as the maze type allowing the water to generate too much heat (while waiting to get out) and therefore putting the heat back into the block and CPU, so it is possible that the extra surface area did lower the temp but lost the gain in poor plumbing..

Ok... I thought you were taking about 1 that had fins running length ways, my mistake.
Looking at that design maybe there isn't enough room for water in the block, and I could still see it having problems geting the water out of the block, much in the same way trying to get a crowd of people through 1 gate often the people directly in front get through but the ones on the sides have to wait.

so what you basically mean is a waterblock with a heatsink on the top. So the fan cools the heatsink and therefore contributing to cooling hte cpu as well?

Spode (Apr 19, 2001 07:29 p.m.):
so what you basically mean is a waterblock with a heatsink on the top. So the fan cools the heatsink and therefore contributing to cooling hte cpu as well?

exactly I figure if like Alpha 6035 setup, pull the air away from the water block and vent the heat straight out the side of the case.

my guess is that you dont want to remove the heat at the block. you want to wait till it hits the radiator so you can get the heat out of your case. i've seen it done though at becooling...http://www.aquastealth.com/ look under air cooling. they have a heatsink you can epoxy on the waterblock. no fan on the heatsink...but i'm sure you could mount one easily.

dem1an (Apr 19, 2001 07:44 p.m.):
my guess is that you dont want to remove the heat at the block. you want to wait till it hits the radiator so you can get the heat out of your case. i've seen it done though at becooling...http://www.aquastealth.com/ look under air cooling. they have a heatsink you can epoxy on the waterblock. no fan on the heatsink...but i'm sure you could mount one easily.

I figure why not get it out of the case at both spots....

i have seen two things that do this. One had a heatsink that was mounted on top of the water jacket, it is somewhere in the water cooling section with foolproof or something like that in the title. The other thing I have seen, is a chrome orb or super orb with holes drilled in the base to allow water to flow through. In the first case, the heatsink did not do too much to help the jacket out, it just was a backup in case of pump failure. In the second case, the guy got much much better results on his orb for cheap. Not as good as a good water jacket, but not too bad, especially for a cheap cooler like that. My guess though, is that this would not help out too much, water takes away heat very well.

I have to say that while it seems to be a good idea, I do not see a need for it. I have a TidalPool Waterblock cooling my 80w pelt and the waterblock is just about at room temp. Adding a heatsink would not do any good. Maybe this is just my system and the 150w tec's heat up the waterblock more, I dunno...

engjohn is right, there really is not a reason to do it, i don't think you would alter your temps. E-mail dangerden and see what they say, they may think it crazy enough to try, they have done it in the past.

Newby2OC (Apr 19, 2001 08:37 a.m.):
Shadow ÒÓ (Apr 19, 2001 07:59 a.m.):

Had to take a second look to make sure it has been a day and 14 minutes

Oops...didn't even notice that. Sorry bud. =)

engjohn (Apr 20, 2001 01:15 a.m.):
I have to say that while it seems to be a good idea, I do not see a need for it. I have a TidalPool Waterblock cooling my 80w pelt and the waterblock is just about at room temp. Adding a heatsink would not do any good. Maybe this is just my system and the 150w tec's heat up the waterblock more, I dunno...

No problems we all make mistakes (and in my case I make some for other people as well)

I guess this answers my question really if your water block stays pretty cool with a 80watt pelt up its bum, I dont think I would gain a great deal of cooling benifit as I am not using planning on using a pelt.

Although If a water block with fins and a fan worked as well as a normal HSF it would be a little cheap insurance if the water pump died....

Back