• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k reinstall problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overload

I have my hard drive partitioned and they are all NTFS. I am having problems with any command prompt recognizing NTFS partitions. This is most annoying when trying to reinstall windows 2000. apparently it looks for a fat32 partition to copy setup files onto during startup. the only work around i have found is to use an old win98 boot disk and reformat my windows partition as fat32, than during setup tell it convert it to NTFS. But it seem when i do this it thinks i am dual booting dos and nt because it brings up a dual boot screen on startup!!

also there are time when i need access to my partitions in a dos environment in particularly when gosting a drive. I now i have got norton gost to recognize ntfs before but can not remember how it was done.

can anyone help me out. basically what i am looking for is a way to get a boot disk to give me access to ntfs and why i cant install win2k on an ntfs partition.

DOS can't recognise any partitions other than FAT partitions. It doesn't like anything else.

What you're gunna have to do (if I read you right) is create yourself some Win2k bootdisks off of the Win2k CD and use those to install (If I read you right . . . I'm not sure if I am). You can create and manipulate your partitions from within the Win2k installer.

Back