• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 9000 Pro video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

I don't care about frame rates an all the othe rstuff-I'm looking for a card that has good picture quality and will run the up coming games like UT3. Will the 9000 Pro (does it have pragrammable shaders-haven't looked into it)card do it???? If not, any suggestions???
Can get this card for under $100.00--What about the Geforce3???with its programmable shaders???I'm looking for good playability-not super high frame rates

Last edited:
Will it? Yes it will. However, you should consider the 8500LE, as it is faster, has as good of picture quality, and the 128MB Versions can be had for 87-105 bucks. The only place that the 9000 Chipset deserves to used is in Notebooks, where, right now, it is dominating the GeForce 4 Go. :)

whereismy386 said:
have u any idea about RADEON 9000 (not pro)?

thats even slower than the pro, really You should look at a Radeon 8500LE...great card for the money, great image quality and can play any game coming out for the next year at least....i have played the UT2003 demo and it plays beautifully at 1024x768 with a bit of skippage at 1280x1024.....

You make it sound way too good, obvious you don't have a 9000 pro, my friend has the 8500LE and it doesn't have as good image quality, i mean have the technology in there are 1 version older, it can't possible that good.

image quality has a lot to do with your monitor as well....unless your friend bought an 8500LE that was not made by Ati....a 9000Pro is not "one generation better" as you put it here is what Anand says about it:

With four pixel rendering pipelines and two texture units per pipeline, it’s difficult to scale down the Radeon 8500’s R200 core to a small enough size that it can be sold in $149 cards. NVIDIA’s solution to this problem was to strip out all of the DirectX 8 programmability out of the GPU, leaving a GeForce2-like NV17 core (a.k.a. GeForce4 MX). ATI has taken a bit of a better approach, and instead of making the RV250 a non-DX8 part, they removed one texture unit from each pixel pipeline.

The benefit of the RV250’s architecture is that ATI can reduce die size significantly, while still maintaining competitive performance in games that make extensive use of only one or two textures. The obvious downside to this is that in future games where more textures are used (for example, Unreal Tournament 2003 makes use of four textures in some areas) the RV250 will be slower than the R200.

here is the only positive change made with the 9000Pro:
ATI also outfitted the RV250 core with their FULLSTREAM technology, which is a scaled down version of the pixel shader video technology found in the R300. The ability to run pixel shader programs on video streams is promising, and ATI’s FULLSTREAM technology is one such implementation. With appropriate software support (currently only through RealPlayer), FULLSTREAM can smooth out the blocky compression artifacts that are normally seen in low bandwidth video.

from what i know, i think the anti aliasing is also better, and the hyperz is also enchanced. that's a lot of stuff, i mean brute force wise the 8500 is better, but i wouldn't go with 8500LE by any means

i just ordered a 8500 128mb for 106 bucks shipped yesterday, i cant wait till i get it

I think I'll believe Anand 99...no 100 times out of 100 over you Neo.

Can you say Beotch slap?

EDIT: and I think I will believe 100 times out of 100 that a 3 year old has better grammer than me.

The 9000 pro imho is a bit better, at lower resolutions......not at 1600x1200, it looses due to the shaders and poor multitexturing, however when OC'ed and with the new drivers ati will make, this card will be very nice

Back