• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the reason for "Bios/AGP tearing"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KCM

Registered
Hi,

recently I bought a Epox 8K5A2+ Mainboard, and honestly the first thing I did was to Overclock :D .
But I get Bios tearing @197Mhz, and I would like to know what is the reason for tearing.
The Northbridge, Memory or Graphicscard.
And I must admit my NB gets very very HOT :eek:, when I put my fingers more than three seconds on the cooler, I will burn them (perhaps that is the reason).

I hope you can help me.

Greetings KCM

Last edited:
you mean screen tearing? i never heard of bios tearing. please explain what it is that's happening.

I haven't tested it, but the display was corrupted from the beginning.
What about the NB Cooler, it gets very hot, is it normal?
And from what I have seen the 8K5A2+ has a round cooler, why do I have one with a quadtratical cooler?

I don't know why you have a square chipset cooler, but I suspect it may function better than the round one. See this thread.

The first thing I always do when I get a new motherboard is to check the heatsink for the chipset. Typically, there is an inadequate amount of thermal transfer compound to ensure maximal heat transfer. It's probably not an issue for "standard" users, but certainly does play a role if you plan to overclock.

chaosdriven said:
I don't know why you have a square chipset cooler, but I suspect it may function better than the round one. See this thread.

The first thing I always do when I get a new motherboard is to check the heatsink for the chipset. Typically, there is an inadequate amount of thermal transfer compound to ensure maximal heat transfer. It's probably not an issue for "standard" users, but certainly does play a role if you plan to overclock.
Hi,

I bought me a CrystalOrb I think that should do the work.
I hope it was not a mistake to buy the CrystalOrb.

chaosdriven said:
That should work fine - just make sure you have good surface contact and use thermal paste of some sort. Good Luck!
****, the Crystal Orb doesn't fit.
It is interfering with my Heatpipe :cry:.
But I have removed the Cooler on the NB, cleaned it and put some AS2 on it.
And I took my old fan from the Abit KT7A, and screwed it on the NBCooler.
I think it is better than the Old Solution.

madsam said:
so, your corrupt screen was caused by a hot northbridge?
I've experimented a littlebit and I think the Memory causes the Screen Corruption.
Because if I lower the Memory Voltage I get Screen Corruptions @ 194Mhz.
I have got crappy Samsung DTL-CB3 PC 2700 Ram.

one word

via.

look no further.

issues.

they have taken a step back now, via that is.

via having problems with the kt400 chipset too, most reviews show it only to be on par with the kt333, not better, even with the 1/6 divider implemented.

they may just not do further research and refinements, kinda bummer as they were getting closer with each issue.

baldy:cool:

Back