• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is sideband addressing and why does it cause instability!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

Hey everyone, ok this is the third time I've tried to post today, hopefully the forum server is working now...

I have tried both a gf2 ultra and gf4 ti4200 with SOF2 MP and after about 8min of gameplay the game crashes back into windows (and the gamma is all messed up). After overclocking/underclocking and fiddling with settings I think I finally figured out that turning off the AGP side band addressing was the thing messing me up. Sure enough I turned it off and was able to play for more than 30min yesterday..

what is side band addressing? what performance gaines does it offer? why does it cause so much instability?

info?

thanks!

Look at the Sticky on the vidio card section.

Sticky: Guide to 3D settings (in game and drivers) by Malakai

add in info by MospeadasDark:
AGP fast writes and sideband adressing: fast writes and agp side banding are suppose to be new techniques of the agp bus to transfer data even faster...theoretically. However in practice it does nothing other than give severe stability issues for about 1% increase in performance, if even.

PNY recommends having fastwrites enabled, but They neither recommend side-band addressing or discourage it.

Just turn side-bad off, keep fast writes on.

-YB

Back