Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

cock of the roost

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 08:09 PM Thread Starter   #1
penguinpoo

Cool cock of the roost

Im going from my Athlon 1GHz to either 2.66 or 2.8 Intel chip... And theres so many more mobo's!!! I want sheer speed - Will PC1066 be faster than the gigabyte DDR400 board??? I want a serious gaming machine, with braging rights for them LAN parties. So whats the fastest I can lay my hands on? I would like AGP 8x for my 9700pro Graphics card, And i dont wanna spend over $300 on a motherboard!
penguinpoo is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 09-18-02, 09:07 PM Thread Starter   #2
penguinpoo

I think i've narrowed it down to either the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP or ASUS P4T533-C (anyone know the difference between the P4T533-C and P4T533) I think i preffere the Giga-byte as it has RAID, Anyone used or know of any reviews of this board?
Old 09-18-02, 09:10 PM   #3
Mr.DLucey

10 Year Badge

Read the following two articles on the main page :

September 14

Broken 9700s There's a pretty good chance that EVERY Radeon 9700 card in existence today is likely to have the AGP 8X problem. ATI has apparently made revisions to boards which correct this.

Unless you like to buy broken $350 video cards (in which case, you need help), until ATI publicly says what is or isn't wrong with these cards, what they're going to do about it, and what happens to all the inventory out there, don't buy it.

And if you like to tell people to buy what could well be broken stuff . . . you need help, too.

Update: The ATI webpage on this issue, and the place where they'll announce updates is here.

September 18

Going From Red To Yellow A combination of statements from ATI and others, while not completely satisfactory, reduces the risk of buying this up-to-now high-maintenance card.

I'd still wait a while before buying an 8X AGP mobo/R9700 combo, though.

Old 09-18-02, 09:13 PM Thread Starter   #4
penguinpoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.DLucey
Read the following two articles on the main page :

September 14

Broken 9700s There's a pretty good chance that EVERY Radeon 9700 card in existence today is likely to have the AGP 8X problem. ATI has apparently made revisions to boards which correct this.

Unless you like to buy broken $350 video cards (in which case, you need help), until ATI publicly says what is or isn't wrong with these cards, what they're going to do about it, and what happens to all the inventory out there, don't buy it.

And if you like to tell people to buy what could well be broken stuff . . . you need help, too.

Update: The ATI webpage on this issue, and the place where they'll announce updates is here.

September 18

Going From Red To Yellow A combination of statements from ATI and others, while not completely satisfactory, reduces the risk of buying this up-to-now high-maintenance card.

I'd still wait a while before buying an 8X AGP mobo/R9700 combo, though.
Thats preddy good you pointed it out thanks... Its in my 'basket' online waiting for me to choose a M/B then Order, So i changed it to an GF4Ti4600... Some help on the mobo would be LOVELY
Old 09-18-02, 10:50 PM   #5
KerryrreK

I wouldn't cancel your 9700 order just based on that, I've seen plenty of other people online who's are working fine. I would get it, and if on the slight chance it didn't work, run it at 4x until you can get it to work at 8X(there is a way, somehow). It has to do with the motherboard/card combo your using, some boards work with it, some have a conflict. You should atleast read the entire updated article on the mainpage here before you make up your mind.

Oh, and if you're looking for AGP 8X support and you cant decide on a MOBO, perhaps my SiS 648 post will help (it's in this forum for Intel boards)

Kerry
KerryrreK is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-13-02, 02:39 AM   #6
dstorrow
Registered

Info and Reviews on GA-8IHXP

Penguin,

I just bought this mobo last week and should be getting it by the upcoming Tuesday, the only thing I think will be a disappointment is the limited overclocking option (which should be fixable through a custom BIOS or an updated gigabyte one). Anyways, if you do a search for the GA-8IHXP in the intel mobos forum you'll find a lot of useful info. Here's the URL for the most informative post about this board. URL: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showth...light=GA8IHXP.

As far as reviews go here's a few URLs

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Gigabyte/8IHXP/

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_con...d=gb850e&page=1

http://www.extremetech.com/article2...3,508728,00.asp

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzUy

http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=150

All these give this mobo about a 9/10.

Oh and as far as the asus p4t533-c goes, most overclockers who are using RDRAM seem to be going with this one right now since it has a wealth of overclocking option right out of the box.

Hope this helps,

Daniel
dstorrow is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards