• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hub in PC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krypt

Registered
I have seen pics of this done before and I would like to throw a hub in my case for easy and quick lans with buddys. The hub requires 7 volts. I read somewhere a long time ago 7v can be achieved somehow, but I cannot remember how. Any help would be appreciated, and wire diagrams are also needed too. Thanks.

Well, i thought since i told you guys how many volts it needed there really wasnt much of a need to know more about the hub. Its a small 4 port netgear ethernet hub.

can anybody tell me how i would wire the 12+ and 5+ together, im thinking all i would do was just splice the yellow and red wire togeather then connect the 2 grounds togeather and hook them up to either end of the 2 wire adapter. would this work?

You connect the positive terminal of your ethernet to the +12 volt line, and the ground terminal to the +5 volt line, and that will give you 7 volts.

JudgeDredd said:
You connect the positive terminal of your ethernet to the +12 volt line, and the ground terminal to the +5 volt line, and that will give you 7 volts.
Exactly right!
But make sure you put the +12v on the positive and the +5 on the ground. Iv'e read of people burning out the PSU's by doing it backward's (+5 to the positive & +12 to the ground).

Guys guys guys, big problem here, the ground for the ethernet signals is gonna be 5V higher at the hub than at any of the PCs NICs........ how do you spell PHUT! ?

It's okay doing this to fans, but where you're gonna have it connected to other equipment it's a big no-no.

Best plan would be to get a "car voltage adapter/transformer" that goes in a cigar lighter socket that has switchable voltages on it, and set that to 7.5, clip off the cigar lighter adapter and wire it to the 12V.

Well that's the easiest, the cheaper way is to wire up a cheap regulator, but it takes too much explaining.
regards,

Road Warrior

My 5 port is really small, im gonna throw it in one of my bays, and only allow the ethernet potrs to show and run the adapter ccord through the back of my computer, not like anyone is gonna notice because im gonna hid it, still working on that. However, it gonna look real cool when i move those leds to show which is on... SO SWEET.
IF i ever get it done ill let you know :D.

What about loading some resistors on the 12v line and using the standard ground? If you can find the amperage draw of the unit you could probably just run some resistors to pull it down to 7v...

...I could be wrong though, amp draw could vary depneding on use, which could make resistors unusable, i.e. you'd get too much voltage under light use...

Anyone have more insight on this idea?

Mike

I believe the best solution is what CrystalMethod suggested in his last post in this thread. Atleast that's what I would do. I'd wife and extension from the hub to the back of the PC. Then have the HUB cord plug into that then into the wall.

Back