• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i just switched from DSL to cable.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malakai

and w00t i had 768/128 (actual 620/130)

now, during peak time, i have 1.8m/366k

this is great. me=happy!

just thought id share my joy with everyone

oh its roadrunner btw

Kingslayer said:
Well at least you got roadrunner and not Comcast. I dropped both Comcast TV and Internet and went to satellite TV and back to Sprint DSL.

Bah, like Roadrunner is some gift from god. MY connections and downloads have dropped noticably in the past year 1/2. Still its a backflip over 56K but not as good as it was. Too many damn people have it now.

Cable, Telia/ComHem 1000/256
(yup, Im sure.. They run 1000b not 128kB/s)

And this is a slow connection.. Need more :- (

Take care

B!

Comcast isn't THAT bad....just upload sux...

but I right at their cap of 1500/128...and it never slows down...but I think I getting optinum since I can't stand tis upload!

Spec

im kind of out in the boonies so, im not worrying about network congestion really. the installer said there are barely any cable customers around here.

my pings are really good too, which seems to contrast with what most people get.

but they have a major base of ops in Tampa, that might be why:)

Road Runner Cable

Just wait till everybody on your block gets it and watch your bandwidth dissapear! My friend down the street crawls. Equal to 56k speeds for him lol.

Re: Road Runner Cable

rdytorave said:
Just wait till everybody on your block gets it and watch your bandwidth dissapear! My friend down the street crawls. Equal to 56k speeds for him lol.

This is just a common misconception. Roadrunner has technology in place to keep everything running smoothly. I know people in Tampa with roadrunner, and they have smokin' connections. rdytorave, if your friend's speeds are like 56k, then he has a problem with his comp and he should call tech support because they guarantee a minimum bandwith.

Malakai said:
im kind of out in the boonies so, im not worrying about network congestion really. the installer said there are barely any cable customers around here.

my pings are really good too, which seems to contrast with what most people get.

but they have a major base of ops in Tampa, that might be why:)

Where in Florida are you if you don't mind me asking?

heh Port Richey, a little bit northwest from Tampa right near the Fla west coast.

im like a 10min walk from the gulf

(ps: its in my sig:D)

Re: Re: Road Runner Cable

ptwearnhardtfan said:

This is just a common misconception. Roadrunner has technology in place to keep everything running smoothly. I know people in Tampa with roadrunner, and they have smokin' connections. rdytorave, if your friend's speeds are like 56k, then he has a problem with his comp and he should call tech support because they guarantee a minimum bandwith.

How is it a misconception that the total bandwidth of an area is shared by everyone in that area? More people=slower connections smooth or not. It may not be noticable without a large change in the number of people on, but it is there. That,(and I loathe, despise, and abominate Time/Warner Cable), is why I'm happy w/ EarthlinkDSL down @ 130-160Kb/s when I came from 4-6Kb/s with my 56K.:cool:

Edit: Just went to DSLReport and tested out at 1228kbps down/321kbps up:cool:

Last edited:
Mull said:
Could some one answer a question for me. Is DSL or Cable
better for security and why

Mull

technically DSL is, because on cable the data entering and leaving the modem passes through everyone elses on the block.

but someone would really, really know what they are doing to change their modem settings to pick up the packets destined for anotehr comp, and than they would have to be even better to be able to reconstruct any coherent data from it

Re: Re: Re: Road Runner Cable

DreamingWolf said:

How is it a misconception that the total bandwidth of an area is shared by everyone in that area? More people=slower connections smooth or not. It may not be noticable without a large change in the number of people on, but it is there. That,(and I loathe, despise, and abominate Time/Warner Cable), is why I'm happy w/ EarthlinkDSL down @ 130-160Kb/s when I came from 4-6Kb/s with my 56K.:cool:

Edit: Just went to DSLReport and tested out at 1228kbps down/321kbps up:cool:

It is a miconception that people slow to a crawl during high traffic times. If you're at a crawl, I don't believe its a cable problem. I get well over 2 megabits during high traffic times and usually 3-4 megabits during off peak times. This is not uncommon.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Road Runner Cable

ptwearnhardtfan said:

It is a miconception that people slow to a crawl during high traffic times. If you're at a crawl, I don't believe its a cable problem. I get well over 2 megabits during high traffic times and usually 3-4 megabits during off peak times. This is not uncommon.
Point taken. Personal preference is I don't want my speeds affected by others in my neighborhood, unless we're all trying to browse the same page of course.
But I agree, I does take a considerable number of people on the system before an appreciable slowdown occurs, and many people consider this aspect of cables well worth the extra speed.:cool:

Back