• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd graphical glitches...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sailor420

I am running a 1.8a @ 2.4 @ 1.575v on a Gigabyte GA 8IEXP. The mem ratio is 1:1, and the PCI/AGP is locked at 33/66. When playing newer, very graphically intensive games (like the NOLF2 demo or the new Hitman demo or 3dMark), about the top third of my screen is grayed out. Sometimes parts of the screen will show through it, but it is consitently there. When I reboot, it goes away, at least for a while. My system is not running hot; 45* load (not cool but by no means too hot). My vid card (radeon 8500 64mb) is not overclocked at all anymore, and I am running the newest beta 6143s. What gives? This is an odd error... Never seen it before. It does not occur in older games such as MOHAA or even the new UT2003 (surprising).

I'm guessing here ...but....is the PCI bus lockable on that board? What FSB setting are you on?....What Im getting at is your V Card might not be able to handle that high of a FSB.

OK, new drivers didnt do it, either. I went to the newest official ATI drivers. Not cool.

i think this an instance of artifacts(i think)

i would make sure its not o/c and back down your cpu settings alittle

hope that works

See, thats what I thought, too, but the machine runs 100% stable in everything else. I will probably give it a go a little later, anyways.

The strange thing is, it works if the machine has been rebooted in the past, oh, say, 20 minutes (i havent tested this, the time is a conjecture). Wierd.

If I've read this right, you were overclocking your vidcard
but now your not.
The artifacts don't appear straight away after a boot.
It's possible that your overclocking of your vidcard has caused some damage. As it warms up after a reboot it reaches a point where the damage produces the effects you see.

It could be something else but it's a possibility.

No, it isnt that. I had the vid card overclocked for about a week. I wasnt seeing much improvement, so I stopped. This was about 6 months ago. It has worked fine since then. I just got this p4 system last week.

How old is your monitor? maybe the RGB projector has gone bad, that is cannot catch up the intended refresh rate. Try to update new driver for your particular monitor and see the result. If it the same result, you could borrow your brother's monitor and test it again.

Last edited:
I doubt its the monitor... Its freakin brand new (dual sony trinitron multiscan e210 17"). It could be the card getting hot. I will try putting the blowhole back over it (i removed the fan over it because of noise... It seems odd that it should be getting hot, but i will try it anyways). I am running a 300w PSU.

Back