• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound Insulation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

I'm getting a Vantec Tornado 80mm (55.2dBA!) but my case is kinda ****ed for sound insulating cos of the 3 windows, on the sides and top. I figure I could just cover up the windows with sound insulation pads, but I can't do that for the top window (it has a case fan) and one of the sides you can actually see all the stuff, and the other one is just the back of the mobo plate and some stuff which I wouldn't mind covering up that window with sound pads, but I don't think that'll be very effective. This is damn loud, and I guess I could just get a rheostat and turn it down, but that would limit OCing ability. Meh. If there's any suggestions, go ahead, otherwise I'll just go with the rheostat.

i think you should get a less noisy fan. wut is the point of
the windows if you are gonna cover em up, just cuz a fan
is too loud.

you could try a 7v mod to lower the fans volume. also, you
could look for a rheostat.

this fan has a built in rheostat so you can adjust the speed/noise
as you please.

http://www.svcompucycle.com/thersmarcasf.html

what's the point of a window to look at the back of the mobo rack? I think it's safe to say that rationality has nothing to do with why people do things to their case that they do.

Easier than messing with the case anymore, for fear of destroying it. Make a simple wooden or plastic box to go around the case, with a hole in the bottom of the front and the back behind the power supply and such and put sound insulation all around that. a duct from the computer to the outside for exhaust and for intake should take care of that. Then put it deep underground with a little ventilation shaft reaching the surface of the earth. relays should enable you to hook your monitor up to the computer and keyboard and mouse and all. Or if it's a server box, you can just remote login to it from anywhere and not have to worry about that stuff.

safemode said:
what's the point of a window to look at the back of the mobo rack? I think it's safe to say that rationality has nothing to do with why people do things to their case that they do.

Easier than messing with the case anymore, for fear of destroying it. Make a simple wooden or plastic box to go around the case, with a hole in the bottom of the front and the back behind the power supply and such and put sound insulation all around that. a duct from the computer to the outside for exhaust and for intake should take care of that. Then put it deep underground with a little ventilation shaft reaching the surface of the earth. relays should enable you to hook your monitor up to the computer and keyboard and mouse and all. Or if it's a server box, you can just remote login to it from anywhere and not have to worry about that stuff.

I think safemode is right on the money. I have a similar setup at home. My computer is in a closed cupboard. This cupboard is part of my monster computer desk and was meant for a PC but did not have the ventilation for OCing. So I busted out the cordless Sawsall and went to work.

There were already holes out the back for cables and ventilation. The only problem was the intake. I them decided to mod my case and the cupboard to fix this problem. I cut blowholes in the bottom of the case and added two more intake fans. I then cut 2 holes in the bottom of the cupboard to match. Under the cupboard is an empty shelf. I added a toggle that switches between the 2 fans in the bottom of the case or the original intake fans in the front. Then I put some of that green sound insulating board all around the inside of the cupboard.

You can still hear the fan noise coming from the back of the computer desk but it is WAY quieter than before.

Back