• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2K and Outlook Express

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

I suddenly started getting errors in Outlook Express when receiving mail. The program will shutdown before the mail is completely received every time now. I tried disabling Norton's and a few other programs, but nothing has worked.
I 'm going to try reinstall Outlook Express and see if that works.
Where do I find the uninstall function for Outlook Express? It's not in the add/remove programs list. Also, to reinstall will I have to find it on my Win2k disk and install from there if possible or is there another method?

Thanks

:confused: I spoke too soon . All is back to the way it was again. I had received a few messages w/o any problems, but now the errors are starting up again. What in Hades is causing this?????:eh?:

What are the error messages you're receiving Despotes? Start | Run | Type eventvwr.msc /s and hit OK | Look for any critical error(s) in the RH pane of the Event Viewer log (after highlighting both "System" and "Application" in the LH pane), right click the error(s) and select "Properties". ;)

ERRORS:
Eventsystem
Perfnet
Perfdisk
DCOM

No errors are being logged in Event Viewer as Outlook Express is shutting down
Shouldn't this error be logged in Event Viewer??? The error is "msimn.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows..."
This is really frustrating. I'd like to know exactly what is causing these errors in OE so I don't waste my time reformatting. It'll likely happen again.
How do you reformat without installing the ACPI?

You might want to try creating a new identity and switching to it ("File" menu | Identities | Add New Identity). See if that works and if so, you can import your old messages into that identity and then delete the old identity. Also if you have the option set to compact messages in the background turned on, I would recommend you uncheck it and compact manually at least once a week, more often if you are a heavy newsreader (Tools | Options | Maintenance).

The Main Identity (the default when installing) for some reason is more prone to corruption than one that is user created. It's been a problem since OE5.0 first came along. The corruption doesn't seem to come up again in user created identities.

AFA disabling ACPI before installing Windows, depending on your MB...it's an option normally found in the BIOS under "Power Management Setup". If you don't have the option available in the your BIOS, you can still disable ACPI by specifying a third-party HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) during setup i.e. "Standard PC". I've included the MSKB article which describes how to do this...HOW TO: Specify a Specific or Third-Party HAL During Windows Setup

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q216251 ;)

Last edited:
I switched identities (deleted old) and unchecked the compact messages option. I'm still getting the error.
I even tried restarting in safemode with the network option, but it still closed with an error.:eh?:

I already read that one and tried what they suggested:) I ran Norton Disk Doctor and there were a few files that were corrupted. When I rebooted Norton's fixed the files and now my Outlook Express is working again. I don't know for how long :rolleyes: Hope my HDD isn't in need of a diaper:D
Thanks for your help. I'll let ya know if OE is still working in a few hours...maybe less:eek:

Back