• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Wetter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MsNath

So I hear water wetter will give us a couple extra degrees cooling.

I hear it was originally used in stock car radiators.

Now for us OCers are we really going to see noticable gains vs using say antifreeze or some other homemade brew?

Can we buy this stuff at local NAPA or autoparts stores or do we have to special order it from the OCing sites. I have found it on a couple of OCing site but they want 8 bucks for the bottle and 20 bucks for shipping to Canada.

Whats in this stuff can we make a brew of our own?

you can supposedly get it in an auto store. Ok, whats in it, i am not sure, my chem teacher(phd in organic chemistry) thinks there is some sort of detergent in it along with several various polar molecules. This is what reduces the surface tension of water. So, i don't know how to home brew it, i will look into it and see if I can get anything similar to it. But i strongly suspect that one of the polar compounds in it is the key, probably a good metal like copper, or maybe cobalt or manganese judging by the color(they can both yield that redish tint, little bit too redish for manganese though).

I picked mine up at NAPA for $7.99(US)., which was cheaper than some other brands I came across. At NAPA it was marketed as "EngineCool". BTW, antifreeze really doesn't really have any properties as a cooler, more for anticorrosion sake.

I got mine at an auto parts place here in California called Pep Boys. It was about 5 bucks. I got a 1 degree lower temp when I added it. I feels like it contains some kind or detergent or soap which would account for the reduction in surface tension of the water. It's made by a company called Red Line and their web site is www.redlineoil.com. They're a California outfit and their phone number is (707)745-6100

TT120 (Apr 22, 2001 01:48 a.m.):
I got mine at an auto parts place here in California called Pep Boys. It was about 5 bucks. I got a 1 degree lower temp when I added it. I feels like it contains some kind or detergent or soap which would account for the reduction in surface tension of the water. It's made by a company called Red Line and their web site is www.redlineoil.com. They're a California outfit and their phone number is (707)745-6100

hmm,if it has a detergent feel, and it is not a detergent, i wonder if it has some sort of a weak base in it, be testing the ph tomorrow.

I'm sorry, but this has nothing to Do with what you're talking about. I just Wanted to Know....Is that really You in that Pic?...Cause Wholly Crud I didn't think Chick's that look like you Were into PC's that Much Let alone O/Cing. I always imagine Well Non-Attractive Women....Sorry. And Sorry for Posting this...Just had to Ask.

you can get some water pump lube from the auto part store that will do the same thing, in fact that is what water wetter is, it is water pump lubricant made by redline oil Co.

TT120 (Apr 22, 2001 01:48 a.m.):
Thanks for the link. I have been looking all over the place here in Toronto, for that product and could not find it. Your link took me to the supplier in Concord, Ontario. Thanks again.

I don't have any mixed metals so don't need to worry. But I add a tiny bit of bleach to stop things growing. And washing up liquid to reduce surface tension. Dropped my temps about 1c I think.

Back