• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning-In?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Burning in" is the term given to the process of pushing high voltages through your cpu for a considerable amount of time. To do this safely, you would decrease the fsb and increase the voltage to a very high level. The reason you decrase fsb is to maintain safe temperature for you cpu. After this is done, you load your cpu constantly for a few hours/days.

Burning in is suppose to increase your overclocking potential of your cpu. For example, a lot of people claim that after burning in, they can overclock higher with a lower voltage etc.

I'm not certain as to why it works or doesnt work. There are people on both side's on the fence and some who are sitting on it (like me).

lazerin is correct. Think of it as breaking in your cpu, instead of burning in. When you put breaks on a car, you are supposed to break them in before hard braking. Does it make them stop better if you do? Some people say yes, some say no. Same with car motors. I personally believe in the theory, because, like so many other things in life, most things work better with less exertion after they are worn in a little. Does this apply to silicon? I don't know, but I do it anyway, and I have enjoyed a lot more successes than failures with my o/c'ing endeavors :)

My whole perception on the burning in thing is like this:

If it 'might' help and does no harm yet at the same time may actually 'not' work...then I'll do it. What do I have to lose?

So I practice the theory of 'burning in'.

Better safe than sorry and better performance in the long run is always worth the effort.

:mad: = processor.

:D

hallowen said:
Could you tell me what voltage you use for "burning-in" P4 Processors?

In general, you want to set the front side bus to the lowest possible setting your BIOS allows, and raise the vcore to the highest possible setting. However, after many stories of the Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome, I'm not sure it would be all too wise to max out the voltage for P4 Northy's.

I'm not that great with intels, but some athlon xp boards allow rediculously high voltages which can kill you cpu even if you have your fsb at the lowest (which is 100 for most athlon xps).

So if I don't plan to overclock, or my desired overclocked speed can be achieved without raising any voltages, I do not need to do this "burn-in" proceedure?

Back