• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to all this, quick question?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

galingula

My system...

(1) AREA-51
(1) DRAGON FULL-TOWER CHARCOAL BLACK
(1) INTEL PENTIUM 4 1800MHZ
(1) INTEL DBG850 MOTHERBOARD
(1) 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE BLACK
(1) 340 WATT POWER SUPPLY
(2) 128MB PC800 PNY :RD0128C08004508
(2) 64MB PC800 KINGSTON:KVR800X16-4/64
(1) IBM DESKSTAR 40.0 GB HD ATA 100 7200 RPM
(1) VISIONTEK NVIDIA GEFORCE3 64MB
(1) KOOLMAXX COOLING SYSTEM
(1) ALIEN HEAD GRILL CHROME
(1) SOUNDBLASTER LIVE 5.1
(1) SONY 16X DVD PLAYER
(1) HARDWARE MPEG-2 DECODER
(1) ALTEC LANSING ACS54 5-PIECE SPEAKERS & S
(1) INTEL PRO/100 S DESKTOP ADAPTER
(1) 2-YR 24/7 ONSITE WARRANTY
(1) CUSTOMER SUPPORT WARRANTY (NO CHARGE)
(1) ALIENWARE MASTER CD
(1) ALIENWARE MANUAL BINDER
(1) MICROSOFT XP HOME OEM
(1) HI-PERFORMANCE HEATSINK/COOLING SYS

Sorry, but all this is somewhat overwhelming. I mess around with computers quite a bit. I have never done an overclock on a motherboard. Am now thinking about it. Are there any Windows XP FSB tweakers that I can download? It believe all I have to do is change that on this system and I'll be overclocked. I see ones for other OSs but not XP. I have XP Home. I can't seem to find a diagramatic step by step guide. Push that, pull this, etc. If there is a link life would be great.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

welcome to the forums!

I think you may be beating a dead horse with that mobo. There are a few programs out there that will o/c from Windows (SoftFSB, CPUFSB), but they work sketchy at best. A few dollars invested in a better mobo may be worth your time, and you will get better results in the long run...but good luck, anyway! :)

Last edited:
id try and find a motherboard manual from alien ware.i looked but they dont give much info.and niether does intel.

but what u need to be looking for is most likley in your bios.its the "fsb" front side bus adjustments.if none of these are to be found here is a link to softfsb and cpufsb. both should work.

http://www.aoaforums.com/files/index.php?dir=173

i see you are new.please goto first page of overclockers.com and read up on the beginerguides.this is a must if you like your computer.and also oc'ing it will most assuredly viod your warrenty.there is alot to know and take it slow. also look for mother board monitor5 in those downloads also.will give you valuable temp readings.

you do all this and learn like crazy and in 3 months you could build a faster one at half the cost.what you have now will get you started in ocing,its a nice rig.but rest assured you will find ways to make it better also.

knowledge and preparedness are my way of life in ocing.its 95% reading on how-to and doing it correctly.if your not 100% sure on somthing just read more or ask! its not worth the blue smoke and the cussing.

:p <--- kicks Intel in the jimmy for making such a MB.
Intel doesn't cater to the o/c crowd. Those mobo's are usually built to be rock solid stable (which most are) and back in the day, the BX chipset had no equal. But for overclocking, there is no BIOS setting for FSB and multiplier. There may be one for a cpu speed, but the setting won't stay upon autodetect at reboot. SoftFSB and CPUFSB may detect the PLL on the mobo, but even if they do, it's a shot in the dark as to whether or not it works...stabily.

I appreciate the replys. Seems like leave well enough alone, eh? Seams like a good idea. Mines still a smoker as far as I'm concerned, just always chaisin' the carrot, ya know? I did read on some site somewhere that the board I have does overclock. They mentioned a tweaker that I couldn't find on an ENGLISH site that was supposed to JUST change the FSB. The board has an absolute lock on the multiplyer. That was somehow supposed to make it easier to OC. Decided to start the research after that. I'll leave it be...

Thanks again

"There are 10 types of people who understand binary, those that do and those that don't"

Galingula,

Unless you are lucky enough to get an ES (engineering sample) chip you will not be able to change the multiplier on the PIV chips. The multiplier is locked from the factory. But with a better motherboard you can change the front side bus. I see that you have Rdram, a good choice for a motherboard upgrade would be an Abit TH7-II. It would allow you to move your FSB up to 250mhz, which you would never really reach. It has a PCI/AGP lock. You can find one for around $120(us) with built in raid controller. I would recomend that you research it on the these forums and ask questions. I have to say that this forum and the members here are AWSOME :D . You will occasionally see some AMD/Intel fights, but it is usually non-existant. Also the reviews on the host sight are great. Unlike alot of other sights I have seen, they are really unbiased and do not show loyalty towards any brand, they just call it the way they see it. With your CPU, you could probally be able to get more out of it depending on your cooling and when the memory reaches it limits.

Oh ya forgot, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Buzzdog

Back