• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk800 vs mcx462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

I hear that the mcx462 performs better than the slk800. I figured that, as the mcx does cost a bit more. So, I'm wondering which one I should get.

I hear copper is better in an air conditioned room, and this room is air conditioned. + for the slk. However, the mcx has a copper base with aluminum pins. Will that kind of bypass the air con thing?

Also, do I have to worry about the thing not being secure? Yodums mentioned that the mcx is more securely mounted, while the 505 grams of the slk800 isn't quite as safe as possible. Do I have to worry about this?

It's only about $3 more than the slk I was planning to get, so I want to be sure I have the better one.

Athlon 2200+

The new MCX462+ is out, and so far it seems like it outperform SLK-800, but by just 1-2 degree. As for the MCX462, its more secure since it use the 4 holes around the socket, and the SLK-800 is putting the load on the 6 lugs with the sockets. Personally i like the design of SLK-800 better, but if are not in a hurry for the HSF, wait for a few more of the reviews on the MCX462+.

Here is one of the review.

It depends on the application.

If you have the socket holes and room around the socket, which I assume you do, then the MCX is the right thing for you :)

The best use of the SLK-800 IMHO is in an air-cooled duallie, where you don't have the room for the monster heatsinks.

You can ask members in the AMD motherboard ASUS forum, they have hands on experience. I would say if it fit the MCX462, it should fit the MCX462+ too.

Back