• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WBK38 on Cel2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveI

Can anyone tell me if I just pulled a bonehead move?

I looked around and it appears that the WBK38 outperforms just about everything else within a reasonable price range. I decided to try an experiment on my Cel2 processor. Will it fit without mods?

Has anyone else done this?

Long term, I plan on using it when I upgrade to the T-Bird, and it is the only cooler that I feel will cool a fired up T-Bird available today (safely)... So even if it doesn't work now......it will work for me someday. I hope to test cooling and noise. I have a lot of noise already, my Pioneer 16xDVD is loud as hell.

Thanks
SteveI

it will work, but you really really should get a NONCONDUCTIVE shim not a copper one, sorry for the shouting, but it is really important to get one that is not copper or aluminum. Other than that, you should be very happy, it is a bit overboard for that chip, but it is not an expenisve hsf, and it has great results, it sure is nice and big too :).

well theres no sense using a "non-conductive shim" since there is no stuff on top of a celly2, so any shim will work without danger of shorting out ,,also in my experience , the socket A coolers are far kinder and have better clipping mech's than the old S370 ones did, IMHO a shim prolly wont be necessary :)

Why tourture yourself with a WBK38 for a C2? I used an Alpha pal 6035 to take a C2-566 up to 1020 and it never ran hot. Later on when you go AMD you can always change the fan on the Alpha to a Delta 38. I do have a GW fop 38 and I can't stand the thing. I only use it for testing purposes on new AMD cpu's

Thanks for the feedback, but I am a bonehead after all. I just got everything and it looks will the sink is too large to fit... Lousy excuse, but now I think I will be building a new system (tbird) around a heatsink.....

I know its a pathetic excuse, but....I don't want to waste a brand new heatsink by letting it gather dust, now do I???

It is huge for an intel chip.

My problem is that I have a slot to socket adapter, so the sink will not rise up from the mb, but lie sideways and block at least 1 simm socket. Plus I have a case w/ PS that lies vertically next to the mb, not above it.

see the pic.. 70mm H x 75mm W x 63mm L.

I put 1 on my 566 max load temp is 38 under burnp6 and 34 under game loads i love it and the delta is not bad at all

566@1020

surlyjoe (Apr 24, 2001 11:58 p.m.):
well theres no sense using a "non-conductive shim" since there is no stuff on top of a celly2, so any shim will work without danger of shorting out ,,also in my experience , the socket A coolers are far kinder and have better clipping mech's than the old S370 ones did, IMHO a shim prolly wont be necessary :)

i have to disagree here. Yes your right with nothing being there, but these shims don't conduct heat either like copper, and that is more of an issue than anything cause copper takes heat from the hsf and radiates back into the cpu.

i also thought though that the celey II has traces on the surface, just a thought though.

Back