• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT2003 Problem :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ramza500

I bought a new 9700 Pro for a new computer, and couldn't wait to try it so I stuck it in my older comp (this one). It's an AMD T-Bird 1 gig, 128 megs of PC100 SDRAM, and WinME with a 5200 RPM drive...now ya see why I want a new computer--anyhow, with all my latest drivers, I can't continue to play UT. I start playing it, even when I'm running the benchmark program, it will run for maybe 5-10 minutes, enough for a game I guess, and totally lock up. My HD light flashes every few minutes, but that's about it. Is it because my 9700 is way too fast for my system? I played some other 3D games I own that I know put stress on my system (Star Wars Jedi Knight 2, etc.) at highest settings and I experienced no problems. Could it just be a problem with UT that will probably be gone with the game release? I also read through the UT thread looking for anyone with a similiar problem, but didn't find anything :(. So I don't think it's the ATI drivers. Any help would be appriciated! Thanks

I sure did, I mean the graphics do look pretty impressive for this being just a demo, in the benchmarks, it usually locks up (in any resolution) when it gets to the 3rd one. And in games, it does it at various times-I managed to finish 1 game, and I started the next one and it locked up, I tried a CTF and went over the bridge and locked up, I captured the flag in another and returned it - lock up. Even in the preferences, I was doing my key configs, then went to look at the weapons, it loaded the weapons the thing did 1 spin and it locked up. These are hard restarts, not just ctrl-alt-del. It's hard to tell what is wrong =/

What drivers are you using? The ones off of the CD, or the ones off of the website?

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the game?

Have you removed all the other drivers from your old card completely (all references out of the registry etc)?

I uninstalled, then rebooted just to make sure, and re-installed UT 2003, didn't apply the patch and tried the game - didn't work, installed patch, didn't work. I'm using the drivers off the website, most recent version. However, I don't know how to completely remove all references of my old card. It was an ATI Radeon VE (ugh) but I just wanted to try the 9700 Pro's graphics out. My CPU isn't over-heating, and I can still touch my Pro card, and the little metal sheet on the back and not burn. I'll be putting the VE back, just using the Pro till my new system comes...kinda breaking it in heh. But this lockup only seems to happen with this game, I can't re-create it with any other game...

Back