• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't OC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I got my new system up and running (in my sig). I cannot raise my FSB at all. If I even raise it 5 MHz my computer will be all screwy. It will take like 2 minutes just to load the desktop, etc. What's up with this?! Someone mentioned that it might be because I have a crappy mobo.

Any suggestions, ideas...?

-YB

I'm not familiar with your mobo, so I can't really tell. Maybe it's your RAM? Download memtest 86 and run it. It will make a bootable disk for you. Up your FSB by 5Mhz and boot off the memtest disk. Let it run for atleast an hour. If you get errors then it's faulty RAM.

Before you try that though, have you tried relaxing the memory timings as much as possible? Also, with my A7V333 I have an option to run the memory at 166Mhz, or 133Mhz. 1:1 being 133Mhz, and 4:5 being 166Mhz. Make sure you set your memory to 1:1.

Temps are 46 C max load on average, sometimes lower depending on room temp.. Mobo temp is 35 C.

I'm about to go try out the memory options.
Also, whether is means anything at all, I can run Prime95, stock speeds, for a day without probs.

-YB

I already tried upping the CPU voltage, and it didn't help. I guess I could try uppin both the mem and cpu, and see what that does.

I can't run memtest 86 right now because my floppy drive isn't working! ARGh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am prolly going to but a new floppy soon, since I can;t solve my problem. I don't know much about the RAM settings...

I have it 1:1 at 133MHz, that's as much as I know.

-YB

Ok, here are some of my RAM settings. I think the RAM is what is causing it... when I upped the RAM up to 166MHz, my computer wouldn't boot, and I had to clear the CMOS.

Anways...

* * Denotes my current setting.

DRAM Clock: 133MHz, 166MHz, *By SPD*

DRAM Timing: Manual, *By SPD*

DRAM Queue Depth: 2 Level, 3 Level, *4 Level*

DRAM Command Rate: 2T Command, *1T Command*

What should I change?
-YB

Back