• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sound activator for neon lights, or whatever it's called

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcan5d

Registered
I know that some neon lights for PCs are activated when sound plays. I am not interrested in the neon light that has that already, I am interrested in the sound activator device. I am unsure what these are called so please correct me :). Does anyone know where I can get these, I would like to do a little more customization on my PC as well as other things ;).

Thanks for the help.

I haven't seen that around, actually. Know about the sound activated neons, but not the circuit doing the sound thing. But a nice starting point if you like to make this yourself, is an article on bit-tech.net on a catode throbber. Basically a 555timer generates a pulsed used to "throb" two catodes. With a little modification that pulse could come from a mic?

Just an idea!

don't know about a circuit, but i know you can buy those seperately as a car thing. here is one from jc whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatContainer.jhtml?_requestid=30718

kinda pricey, but i think thats what you're looking for. you can find kits at www.jameco.com and circuits online if you search for color organ. those only work on incandecent type lights or leds though. they vary the power to the light source, and that doesn't work right with neon/flourcent lights.

Back