• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running into prob overclocking 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

A friend of mine is using a AMD 1700+, not sure the stepping but it's not that great lol. He's using PC2100 and the same motherboard I have listed below - RAID (K7T266). The problem is he can not run at any higher then 140FSB. The temps all look great, at max load it hits about 37-38C and idles around 35C. And the system temp is around 33C at load. Even with the voltages at 1.85 & 2.7 only 140 is stable. At 145 the system will not even get far enough along the boot to start loading windows, and at 143 windows tries to load but gives our good friend the BSOD.
With relaxed timings and even -33mhz on the DDR, the same problems occur so I don't think ram is the issue. And I can't really belive that the cpu is the problem but I'm not sure. As far as AGP/PCI goes he's got a GF4 4200, a PCI 16 soundcard, a Linksys NIC, and a ATI TV tuner card. Also the +5.00 stays around 4.95-4.92

Any suggestions on what could be holding back? I'm guessing the cpu, or possibly the PCI bus. Also, would it make any difference if the ram was in the 3rd slot as opposed to the 1st slot?
Thanks again

Last edited:
Codeman05 said:
A friend of mine is using a AMD 1700+, not sure the stepping but it's not that great lol. He's using PC2100 and the same motherboard I have listed below - RAID (K7T266). The problem is he can not run at any higher then 140FSB. The temps all look great, at max load it hits about 37-38C and idles around 35C. And the system temp is around 33C at load. Even with the voltages at 1.85 & 2.7 only 140 is stable. At 145 the system will not even get far enough along the boot to start loading windows, and at 143 windows tries to load but gives our good friend the BSOD.
With relaxed timings and even -33mhz on the DDR, the same problems occur so I don't think ram is the issue. And I can't really belive that the cpu is the problem but I'm not sure. As far as AGP/PCI goes he's got a GF4 4200, a PCI 16 soundcard, a Linksys NIC, and a ATI TV tuner card. Also the +5.00 stays around 4.95-4.92

Any suggestions on what could be holding back? I'm guessing the cpu, or possibly the PCI bus. Also, would it make any difference if the ram was in the 3rd slot as opposed to the 1st slot?
Thanks again

Generally, RAM placment doesn't matter. More likely than anything else, it's the PCI/AGP bus. Usually it's at 145 that they get out of spec, but your friend may be using a particularly finicky video card. Try another, newer card in it. Also, cheap PCI cards can be less fault tolerant than good brands. See what kind of cards he has.

Take all the PCI cards out of the slots...

#1 Raise the VDIMM voltage to 2.8. Now raise the FSB to 143, while keeping the RAM 1:1. Does it still continue to give a BSOD at boot?

#2 If so, try swapping your video card for the moment with your friends. Repeat the above. Does it still BSOD?

#3 If yes, try flashing to another BIOS. AOAFiles.com may have what your looking for. Repeat above #2. Does it still BSOD?

#4 If yes, then it's probably the CPU refusing to go any further than 70 MHz over factory rated. Not typical for most CPU's, however every piece of hardware will be different from any other.

-PC

Back