• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen Splitting in Unreal Tournament 2K3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeD

Registered
I was wondering if anyone else is having screen splitting problems when playing Unreal Tournament 2003. The most obvious splitting occours at the first screen when the model busts out of the nvidia logo. At the logo movie the screen first starts to split when you hear the first bang! and it splits at several horizontal lines. It almost seems to be syncronus with the sound (maybe I should try disabling the sound). Is it possible there is a refresh rate problem between my monitor, windows, and UT2003, since it seems like the monitor starts displaying another frame before it can finish the raster of the previous frame. The splitting also occurs in the game, but it is not as obvious.

I have an Asus Geforce 4 4400 and Windows XP Pro. I have noticed this problem before, namely with my old Voodoo 5 though it wasn't as severe as it only would split on one horizontal line instead of several. I would greatly appreciate any ideas or similair experiences that anyone has had.

Turning vsync on will cap your fps at the monitors refresh rate.

If you are using hardware sound, try the software setting
before disabling it altogether.

I had a PNY G-Force 4400 but did not play the Unreal 2003 demo on it. I have a Radeon 9700 pro now and have had no probs playing the demo (I play it nightly and am about to play it now:D) If you play and run into Neutron now you know who it is.

Thanks for all the responses. I looked at my video card settings and found only one vsync option under opengl and it was on by default. But no vsync for direct3d which is what UT 2003 uses i believe. I think I will try installing monitor drivers and post back with my results. I also have been playing UT nightly since the demo came out. Its going to be a slow week waiting for the retail to come out.

Well, UT 2003 is finally out and after I rushed to the store the day it came out, I tried installing the monitor drivers with no luck. After that I disabled all my USB roots and sound card to ensure that nothing was sharing any of the same resources (IRQs), but no luck again. I gave up on my main comp and tried it on my other comp which has a PIII (main rig has XP 1900+), with Windows 2000 Adv Serv and a Geforce 3, still with no luck. I have on more thing to try before I loose hope and blame it on the nature of CRTs and that is to try it on another comp with Windows 98, a geforce 2 MX and a shadow mask monitor (the other two were appeture grille). I will post back it works or if there are any other positive developments.

Last edited:
JoeD, I really have no idea what is the main reason for your problem. I do have friends that have 1 Gig AMD Thunderbirds with G-Force 2 GTS and G-Force 2 Ti 64DDR cards that can not play Unreal 2003. I have never played the game with anything less that a 2.53 P4 with 533 fsb, Mainboard P4 PB400-FL motherboard (8x AGP) and Radeon 9700 Pro. When I first put the system together I benchmarked 14,400 on 3DMark2001SE. I was disappointed at first, but know am happy with the score.

Back