• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redhat Firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cw823

Honeybadger Moderator
Yeahyeah....linux newbie here. At least w/ redhat.

Okay, I have a T1 here at work. My router's IP addy is 10.0.0.1. All PC's are assigned IP addy's (static) from 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.55. My external IP (via www.whatismyip.com) is 207.1.206.22.

Enough info?

Anyways...running 2 NIC's in a machine I'm going to install RedHat on for a firewall. eth0 we'll assume will be my connection to the outside world (T1), and eth1 will be connected to my switch (for LAN).

So how do I setup the NIC's when doing the redhat install?

I'm not trying to start a distribution war, but i think debian or another 'simple' distribution would be a better choice for a firewall. Distributions like Redhat and Mandrake are simply too big, you can't control everything as easy as on a debian.

I can send you a really simple script to set op everything, nic's, nat and port filtering, if you want it.

Red Hat will suit fine for a router/firewall. If your a newbie with linux, its better to start on a distro like Red Hat, you'll have fewer surprises.

Anyway, you can use IP chains for setting up a firewall. There is alot of info on this, and all sorts of linux stuff, at www.linuxnewbie.org . Here is a link on how to set them up:
http://linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Networks/IPChains.html
And here's another to link to thread in which this was discussed:
http://linuxnewbie.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=63294&highlight=redhat+firewall
Hope this helps.

I'm sorry to kind of get off topic here, but if you wanted a good, very secure linux firewall based on the redhat kernel you might give a look at www.smoothwall.org Once again sorry for getting off topic but it may be just what you need :). Oh, and it is free.

RDX said:
I'm not trying to start a distribution war, but i think debian or another 'simple' distribution would be a better choice for a firewall. Distributions like Redhat and Mandrake are simply too big, you can't control everything as easy as on a debian.

I can send you a really simple script to set op everything, nic's, nat and port filtering, if you want it.

I concur. Debian was my first distro and it is the best one by far, in all aspects. If you have a buisness mashine that you want to maintain painlessly, apt is god. If you want good performance, you'll appreciate the effeciency of debian. And if you're a linux newbie, you'll learn more with debian in a day than you would in rh in a year :p

Back