• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you guys maintain your computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Auri87

looking around i see that most of you guys have decent if not amazing computer specs and i was wondering how you all keep it up to date. Do you guys just upgrade your parts regularly or buy a whole new system every year or 2 years?

upgrade first.. revamp later unless you want a new cpu meaning a new HSF, and of course a new MB to run it requiring faster ram meaning better HD to avoid that bottleneck and of course that snazzy new graphics card with the *insert technobabble here* frame buffer and pixel shading then you're all done with your upgrade... but it wont fit so you need a new case.. argh no power supply.. get one of those...

at this point you realize you have a totally new comp with perhaps the HD's swapping over till you get all your files off it which of course takes until the next upgrade shopping spree

Lusankya said:
in short.. you never actually finish building your rig.. its constant upgrading limited only by your wallet and your girlfriends grip

Exactly true. Some of us like to sell our old ones then build a spanking new rig

Up ‘till yesterday, my rank was “The Mad Upgrader”. Lol My computers are always evolving. What I do is upgrade my main one piece by piece, and save all the stuff that I take out. Once I have enough leftover parts, I build a new one. :D I’m going to start putting together 2 more in a few weeks, a brand new one for me, and one for my sister. My main pc needs to be upgraded again too. :p

aaaaaaaaaaaand, BAM! :D

Actually, my Gateway 2000 worked plenty fine. Was running ALL ORIGINAL hardware well into last September, when lightning struck:( (Brightest ***damn light I have ever seen, instantaneous thunder clap/bolt, so it was darn close, monitor still works fine however), which is why my parents bought this here Compaq, then after we saved up more money, did a low budget retrofit, and it now runs very good. Hopefully gettin a router soon so's I can use it,(only usin this one cause of the Internet access LOL). :)

I have two rigs one dual and one XP that except for the cases wer entirely constructed from the OC forums classified.

cyber mouse45 said:
Up ‘till yesterday, my rank was “The Mad Upgrader”. Lol My computers are always evolving. What I do is upgrade my main one piece by piece, and save all the stuff that I take out. Once I have enough leftover parts, I build a new one. :D I’m going to start putting together 2 more in a few weeks, a brand new one for me, and one for my sister. My main pc needs to be upgraded again too. :p

Same here man, just threw together an Athlon 1800+ last night, still looking through the closet for a spare CD drive. I know there is one in there somewhere.

I don't really upgrade to the newest and best thing. I just kinda collect lots of bits and pieces and then put another system together. I suppose one of these days I'll put together a system and keep it current by upgrading it every few months.

I started out with the endless upgrade (a piece at a time) but in the last couple of years I've switched to doing it all at once. I think I missed that "wow" factor when do everything and see a huge improvement.

BHD

as we are all capable of upgrading computers to meet our needs (or should be - this is a computer forum!) we can upgrade to what we what for not much money and usally keep parts in a boxes untill we have enough to build another computer for our siblings or anyone else who wants one - most of the time buying a new rig is expensive and will leave us with duplicates of things we already have from previous upgrades

i dont keep my computer at the fastest i can - i cant afford to, but i like to keep it running at a ok speed with a small upgrade every now and again - the next upgrade for me is DDR ram and a MoBo - thats right i still have SDR ram in my compuer!

SD here too

I just upped from PC-100 to PC133 SDRAM... It was a free upgrade for me. The "other half" snagged some from work.. I am still going to get DDR soon tho... Maybe for X-mas.. who knows...

Basically, now that I have a real quality case and PSU, I upgrade the CPU, mobo, and RAM whenever the urge strikes me. Drives and burners I only upgrade when something craps out. I have built a bunch of extra rigs with leftovers.

Back